05. I Haven't Lost You

•

"I MISSED THIS," ELTON sighed happily as he snuggled into Magnolia's side. They were sprawled out on the living room couch in a heap of blankets and pillows as they watched Kill Bill. Magnolia hummed in response, mouth full of potato chips. "Like, really missed it. Missed you."

Magnolia smiled, hugging the arm he draped around her tightly. "Me too," She was barely paying attention to the movie, focusing mostly on the company of her best friend. "It's been hell without you." Elton couldn't have known how literal that statement was — rogue vampires, unrequited love, the true pain of what Jasper put her through — but he could never know, and that was the worst pain of all.

Elton strained his head to look at her with soft hazel eyes. His smile was bright and genuine as he watched her. "I'm just glad you're okay. I was worried you'd come back disturbed or something," They both chuckled. "But you didn't. You're still my Magnolia."

"Shut up," She laughed, rolling her eyes with a smile. "You're such a sap, Elton."

"Only for you, my love!" He spoke in a baby voice, tackling her in a bear hug.

Magnolia screeched with delight as she fought him off. "Elton! Stop, you dork!"

After a few more hugs and tickles, he politely listened and stopped, placing his head back on her stomach. "Expect more of this for the next few days," He smirked.

Magnolia shook her head with a smile and focused back on the movie. She couldn't remember how it ended, however, as a few minutes later, the two of them had fallen asleep.

The morning that followed had to have been the calmest Magnolia had had in months. Her mother made breakfast and the entire family sat around the dining room table and ate — together. It was perfect, in her opinion. There were no vampires, no wolves, nothing dangerous or deadly.

However, she knew it couldn't stay like that. Her dad had turned on the television for them to watch the morning news. What they heard was horrifying. People in Seattle were going missing left and right, dead bodies pulling up, and the police had no clue what was causing the disappearances, but they suspected it was the work of a serial killer.

Magnolia and her parents knew the truth, however. No human could pull off such a scheme like this — it was the work of vampires, and by the looks of it, a lot more than one. "I gotta call Alice," Magnolia announced, raising from her chair and grabbing her flip phone. Her parents didn't argue, allowing her to go.

She stopped by the front door and dialled the vampire's number. Alice picked up immediately. "I take it you've seen the news?"