Chapter Thirty: The Lion's Den

Start from the beginning

Gwen read over the letter twice before rolling it up tight and tying it closed with a blue ribbon.

Finish Snape's essay now or send my letter? Gwen thought, and as much as she wanted to procrastinate she knew she should at least copy down the part that she had already written.

As she copied down her work, Susan entered the room.

"Hi, Gwen," she said as she sat down at the desk of her own. "Are you excited about the party tonight?"

"Yeah, I'm excited. I need some stress relief after this week," Gwen told her, but she knew the real reason she wanted to attend the party was to see Fred.

"Me too! This is the first moment of free time I've had in days so I decided to use my time to write to James."

"So is James more than a summer fling?"

"For now we are pen pals," Susan blushed.

"What about for later?"

"I don't know," Susan said sheepishly. "Right now I'm just glad we are talking. You know he's thinking about becoming a curse-breaker or an investigator, but after Cedric, he's taking some time off of school and traveling Europe."

"I'm glad to hear it."

"Yeah, I think he mentioned visiting Duncan in Ireland a few weeks ago."

"He did? I didn't even know that," Gwen frowned. "I need to write Duncan I guess."

"If you write him now I can take the letter for you. I'm going up the owlery after."

"I'll write to him later, but if you're going would you take up this letter for my parents?"

"Of course," Susan grabbed the scroll tied with the blue ribbon from her desk. "Ugh, Professor Snape's essay is making me wish I had a Draught of Peace."

"At least I'm almost done with it. I should be done within the hour I think," Gwen said brightly.

"Perfect, because when I get back from the owlery we'll have to start getting ready," Susan sat back down and continued scribbling with her quill. "Lily and Hannah are coming too, right?"

"Yeah, I invited them, Ernie and Justin, Matteo, Olivia, Thea, Beth, Chris, Wayne, and–um–Andrew," Gwen counted the people on her fingers. "Oh and Cho and Luna. That's everyone I think, but I bet some other people found out through word of mouth."

"Well, the party definitely won't be lacking guests," Susan chuckled.

"I think I would have failed my end of the bargain if I didn't inform what feels like half the student body."

"Trying to impress Fred?" Susan raised her eyebrows suggestively.

"Yeah, yeah, just go back to writing James," Gwen brushed her off.

A few minutes passed before Susan stood, both letters in hand. "Off to the owlery I go."

"Give Tillie an extra scratch from me!" Gwen called after her as she left the room.

As the next hour past Gwen continued to scratch away about Moonstones until all 12 inches of parchment were filled. In that time, all three of her roommates had returned and started to get ready for the party.

Gwen had only attended one other Gryffindor party in her days at Hogwarts, and after that, she had vowed not to go back. However, that was before she started to fall for the guy synonymous with throwing some of the wildest parties the school had ever seen.

Her first experience at a Gryffindor party had been in her third year when Gryffindor had beaten Slytherin and won the Quidditch cup. She didn't remember much from that night, but she was left covered in unknown substances and with a searing headache she never wished to experience again the morning after.