The Light Behind Your Eyes

Will's POV:

"Chief Solace, you know the rules better than everybody else. You can't stay in the room and you can't help. Remember the rules. You can't treat family and he isn't your patient. Just wait and we will come and get you when it's time." Nurse Willow said

"Please just let me stay by him. Please just this once." I begged

"No, I can't." Nurse Willow said

"I'll get to him." I said as I tried to escape from her grasp

"I need help over here! Nurse Ethan!" Nurse Willow called

A tall man walked over and grabbed me. He wasn't much taller than me, but he was way stronger. I tried to break free, but he held firm.

They brought me into the room and he pushed me into the room. Everyone stood up as he took out some plastic handcuffs and latched my right wrist to the chair.

"This is illegal!" I hissed annoyed

"No it's illegal to get in their way or to treat them yourself." Nurse Ethan said pointing at Nurse Willow

(They are in a separate waiting room for the chief's family and friends.)

The nurses closed the door and I rattled the handcuffs. They didn't move and I sank down the wall as I started to cry again. I sobbed loudly as I hit the chair that I was cuffed onto.

It didn't help, but I felt sort of better getting some of my anger out. Mom sat down next to me as Cecil undid the handcuff.

Cecil and Lou Ellen gave me some space as Mom shushed me and sat me in her lap as my body shook from all of the tears. Mom was cradling me like I was a young child or a baby.

"It's okay." Mom said "I'm sure that the babies are okay. They may have been born a little early, but they will be fine."

"N-not them. N-Neeks." I said and my voice shook as more tears spilled

"Oh, honey. It's alright. He'll be fine." Mom said

"H-he was d-dying w-when I l-left. He f-flatlined." I said pointing at my heart "I-It hurts."

I didn't trust myself to say anything else. Sally sat down next to me and hugged me. I was smushed between her and my Mom.

It felt safe. No wonder Nico liked to be in my arms. It's just that feeling of protection like nothing could go wrong.

"It's okay. Stand up and don't give up hope. He's going to be okay. It's only been a few minutes." Sally said "They haven't come in yet, so he isn't dead right?"

"I'm trying to be positive, but he's my life. He could be dead and they're trying to clean him up. That may take an hour or two."

I stood up and Mom got up hugging me. Sally, Paul, Mellie, and Coach Hedge hugged me as I shook. This was the first time that I had seen Coach Hedge not yelling die or wanting to kill. Hazel was rubbing her baby bump as Reyna looked into the distance.

Jason and Percy both had silent tears running down their faces. I broke free from the hug and buried my face in Jason's chest as I clutched Percy's shirt.

Logan was crying and so was Skylar. Both boys had their arms around me as their shoulders shook with their tears dripping to the floor.

"I-is uncle N-Nico o-okay?" Logan asked tugging on Percy's pant leg

"Uncle Nico's going to be fine. We just have to believe in him. You have three new friends. Don't be sad." I said crouching down and wiping the tears off of his face