CHAPTER 5: SYDNEY GOES TO VISIT JUMP STREET

Sydney talked to Dante and Leslie, and also called Lindsey and Ben. They all said it can't hurt to go and at least listen. They all said you know, with your past in bullying, you would be a big help, and could impact these kids. Sydney said I know, but I absolutely hated school, and what happened in high school, I just don't know. I mean I still have bad dreams about Tom. They said at least go listen. Don't just say no and end your career. Sydney decided to call and make an appointment to meet with Captain Jenko,  As she drove up to the old chapel, she looked at the card. It looked abandoned, but there were a couple cars out front, so she said I guess this is the right place.  She went in and walked up the long steps.

Sydney noticed 2 guys playing basketball in the office. They saw her and stopped and headed over to her.  The one was Asian, very good looking Sydney thought. He said Harry T Ioki, at your service my lady, he held out his hand. She shook his hand, and laughed.  Doug said step aside Harry, I saw her first. Harry said no I do believe I saw her first. Sydney laughed again. Doug said Harry you were shooting so I doubt you saw her, weren't you looking at the goal. He said no I was looking at her, that is why I missed the basket.  Doug said no you missed the basket, cause you aren't that good of a basketball player. Sydney laughed.  This young looking girl said oh for pete sakes guys. Give it a rest. You two are definitely not in her league. Hi I am Officer Judy Hoffs, how may I help you.  Sydney said hi Judy, it is so nice to meet another woman officer, Doug and Harry said wow you are an officer, please please please say you are here to join us, and be one of our group.  Sydney laughed and  said I am Officer Sydney Kramer. Nice to meet you Officer Judy.  

Sydney said so I got Harry and Judy's name, what is your name.  Doug said um Doug Penhall at your service.  She said hi.  Doug said so are you here to join Jumpstreet. She said well I am here to meet with your Captain Jenko, because  Doug said let me guess you didn't fit in at your current precinct.  She said that is an understatement.  They all were terrible to me, except for my partner, I got vulgar rude sexual comments.  Judy said men are just disgusting pigs.  She said I agree. Doug said well I assure you, Harry and I are not like that, we respect Judy and all women officers. Judy said yes that is true. They are both great guys. Sydney said well not only did I have trouble with the officers, but the perps thought I was too young and then I was on the Tony DeMarco case, and even got him to admit to rape and murder, he even offered to kill someone for me,, if I did him a disgusting favor, but before I could arrest him, guess what. Doug said wow you were going to bust DeMarco, that would have been huge.  She said yeah well I got arrested, they all said what why. She  said these 2 clown cops come strolling in, and arrest me for let's see prostitution, underage drinking, and being in an adult establishment. They said aw man. She said they thought I was 15. I am 21. they blew it, but then I blew it, it was my fault, cause I didn't tell my partner. See it was his anniversary, and he and his wife are close friends, and I didn't want to interrupt him, but then I found out DeMarco would be there, and because I have no life, I decided that I would go and see if I could get in with him.  Judy said I would have done the same thing, but it was very dangerous. Sydney said I know, I didn't think. I just wanted to do good, and well it worked. I got him to notice me, flirt with me, and he was hitting on me, bragging how important he was, so I turned on the waterworks, said my ex stood me up at the alter, and I wanted to kill the girl he ran off with, and he said he could do it for me with a favor. Judy said disgusting huh. Sydney said yeah I wanted to throw up.  But I called for backup, but since they all hate me, no one came, then these clowns show up. Anyway Captain said it didn't work out, and I broke the rules, and no one but Dante respects me, but he hated to see me turn in my badge, then he explained the program here.  But I have to say, I don't think I can do it. The guys said oh please don't say that, come on, give us a try, it will be so great with you here.

Judy said yes please please please, I would love to have another female officer, and we could hang out, and go to the mall and shop. Sydney said well I do love the Galleria. Judy said oh you know it girlfriend. Sydney said I just know that high school was just absolutely horrible for me. I was it was just bad, and I really don't think how can I go in to high school, with all the bad memories.  They said none of us liked high school, and yeah it is kind of bad, I mean we have home work, boring lectures, put up with high school brats, but still we do help these kids. Doug said I will show you to Jenko's office, Harry said no I will, I saw her first, Doug said no I saw her first, but we both will show her, they both held out their arms.  Judy said no you clowns, I will show her, we have things to discuss. They said oh man. She took me in to Jenko's.  She told him her concerns, and he told her to just try them out, stay a couple weeks, get to know them, how they roll, and do a couple of cases,  She said ok I will try it out.

The guys and Judy were listening at the door. Jenko heard them all say yes, Sydney laughed. Sydney went out and they about fell. Jenko laughed.  Doug said welcome aboard beautiful. She said thank you.   Doug said so Sydney it is Friday. Judy said yes I am sure she knows the days of the week Douglas.  He said Jude please. Don't you have something to do.  She said um no Dougie. Doug said so every Friday, us 3 go to Jake's, it is a bar/club/grill, we have pizza, chips, beer, and sit and bond, talk about our cases, um would you go tonight, that is if you don't have plans.  Sydney said um yeah sure I can go.  I would love to hear about your cases, and get to know you all better.  Maybe get advice how I deal with being back in high school, when um high school was so hard for me.  I still have nightmares about what happened to me. Harry said we meet there at 7, but I would be happy to pick you up.  Doug said no I would be happy to pick you up.  Harry said no we would be happy to pick you up. Sydney laughed. Judy said no I will pick you up.  Doug said ok deal. So Sydney one question.  She said ok what is that.  He said so how bad will your man rearrange my face, if I ask you to dance tonight.  Sydney laughed.  She said well he won't don't worry about it. There is no chance of that.  Harry said oh so he is not the jealous type, or will he be joining you to be the only one you dance with.  Sydney laughed and said there is no chance because there is no man. I don't have a man and I don't date, so sorry guys. I am not interested, you two are sweet, but I just am not interested.  Doug and Harry looked sad, then looked at each other. They said oh no, you aren't, um does that mean you like.  Judy said you guys are so rude.  Sydney laughed. She said no I am not gay. I don't like women.  They said thank God. Not that we have anything against that, but you are just way too beautiful, it would be such a waste.  Sydney said thanks for the compliment. I don't feel beautiful. They said you definitely are.  Sydney said I really am serious though. I can't take this job, if you guys are going to keep hitting on me and expecting to get me to go out and date one of you, or both of you.  I just don't date, I can't date right now, and besides I am really focused on saving my career.  They said ok deal.

At Jakes Sydney had a great time, the guys made her laugh all night, she felt comfortable with them, they were friendly and respectful, she made plans to go to Galleria with Judy the next day. They met at the mall, and they shopped, then went and got ice cream. Judy and Sydney talked about Doug and Harry. Judy said they really are great guys, like brothers to me, I don't have family in TX, I am from Florida.  Sydney  said I was from Florida until I was 16, but after a traumatic event at school, I left and moved to live with my aunt in Dallas. Thank God she took me in, Judy said I don't date either, so don't feel bad about that. She said so bad relationship. Judy said um yeah. I don't tell many people. I mean my parents don't even know. Just Doug and Harry and Jenko. But a year ago, I met this guy, he is in the department, I fell hard for him, we made love, and I really thought he was the one, I had never felt anything like what I did for him, I thought he was the one. I wanted to marry him, having babies with him. I said what happened, did he cheat on you? She said no, actually he cheated on his wife of 12 years with me. She said oh no. I can't imagine.  I am so so sorry. That must have killed you. She said it did, and I mean like I am over him He had 3 kids with his wife, was fixed even, I was just his side piece, when he wife was pregnant with the 3rd and didn't feel like sex. Sydney said how horrible. Judy said I am over him, but I just went thru such heartache I never hurt like that before, and it about killed me, I turned to drugs, and alcohol to kill the pain. Then I found JS. The guys really saved my life. Sydney said that is good you had them.  Sydney said I guess since you told me your story, I can tell you mine, why I don't date, if you please please please promise me you will never ever tell anyone at all ever, not Doug Harry Captain, no one at all. I am so humiliated by it, I will never probably forget it. She said I promise but you don't need to tell me. Sydney said no I will. Sydney told her everything, her whole life story, from her dad leaving for milk, her mom the drugs/alcohol/men, the bullying, Anna, Tom every single detail. Judy said I am so sorry. Well we don't need men, girl power. 

Sydney and Judy became like best friends. and Sydney ended up staying at JS. The first year flew by fast. They had lots of interesting cases, some heart breaking and scary ones. Sydney was happy at Jumpstreet. The guys became like brothers to her. Looked out for her. Still flirted with her but assured her they weren't meaning anything, that they understood she don't date, and wouldn't want to date them, that she was hurt, and they respected her and her decision, sorry that she was hurt. But she still was lonely, and really wished that she could have a man of her own, one that she could totally trust. She and Judy talked about it, and Judy felt the same, but she said I know right now I can't trust a man, I mean how would you know he really was single, unless you lived with them and followed them around 24 hours a day. If there is no trust, the relationship don't work, but I can't trust.  Sydney said exactly.