33 - All the charm of a boy band

It wasn't the first time Ian was showing up unannounced at my school. I wasn't as surprised as the first time but I quickly realized I was just as irritated. Maybe even more so considering the fact that he was drawing a lot more curious gazes this time as he causally lounged against my car with his jacket hanging jauntitly over his shoulder like there was film crew secretly taping the event. That and the fact that I hadn't ditched my friends yet annoyed me to no end.

I wasn't sure what he was thinking post last night's confession but in my book, he was still a dirty secret I needed to hide. Showing up unannounced at my school with Claire out for blood was still one hundred percent unacceptable.

The girls started walking in his direction before I even took a step forward.

I quickened my pace, getting to him just a few moments before they did. "I told you to wait at home!" I hissed quietly.

"You always go directly to your job. I figured I'd better meet you here," he whispered back just as the girls came to stop a step behind me.

I flashed Masked Idiot a look that made it clear I wasn't a fan of his idea before pasting a smile on my face.

I turned to face my friends so  Ian and I were standing next to each other, facing them.

"Guys, this is Mask-- Ian." My smile felt like more teeth than lips but with their attention fixed on Ian, it was unlikely they would notice. They didn't even catch my almost blunder. "Ian, my classmates. Mae. Claire. Tony. Bailey. Cara."

"Hello." Claire led the coop, an angelic smile on her face.

"Hey." Ian nodded.

"You're picking Avy up?" she asked innocently.

I didn't buy the act one bit.

"Uhmm..." he hinged, looking for me to help.

Keeping the smile on my face became so much harder.

I couldn't wordlessly inform him that it was a question that required a lie. Not with Claire's hawk-like gaze trained on me, waiting for any mistake on my part. Any tell. If I so much as glanced at Ian, she'd know something was up, qthat I was hiding something so I kept my gaze on my friends and prayed he would be smart enough -for the first time ever- to come up with an acceptable response on his own.

"Yeah, I guess." He shrugged when no help came from me.

It took all my willpower not to slap a hand against my forehead in exasperation.

His response would have Claire panting for more.

"I need her help. She's the smartest person I know," he continued and threw in a shrug at the end like it was common knowledge.

I exhaled a breath as quietly as I could, the tension in my shoulders fading away.

A smile was easy to drum up now.

"Real smart." Claire smiled.

I was the only one who caught the angered glint in her eyes.

"Well, we have to go. See you girls tomorrow." I feigned disappointment, herding Ian into the car.

We couldn't get away fast enough.

Glancing at his profile, I said, "Tammy did a good job with your makeup. What lie did you feed her?"

He sighed, gingerly touching his expertly concealed black eye. "Kick boxing. Told her my dad was in a foul mood.'

I flashed him an approving smile. "We might make a liar of you yet."