38 - Now is not the time to protect your dignity

With my chin resting in the palm of my hand, I stared, listless, letting out a sigh of boredom every now and then.

Ian was right. The library was pretty boring. Especially on a Sunday afternoon.

I had finished updating the log on my desk unit over an hour ago. Normally, after that, I would busy myself with re-stacking used books and wrongly placed ones but today, there were no books to reorganize since not a single person had come in all day. Not even one of the regulars. It was an incredibly slow day. So slow, April -my coworker-  couldn't even be bothered to hide the fact that she napping on the job. 

There was no one to attend to so, in a way, she wasn't really in the wrong. I found myself almost envying her ability to fall asleep wherever, whenever. For some reason, I could only ever fall asleep at home. Today however, I was so bored I'd have given anything to trade places with her.

If only I had Ian for comic relief...

I expelled a breath noisily through my mouth, absently tapping out a beat on the tabletop. I reached for my phone again, hoping something interesting had happened in the last three minutes.

Shockingly enough, the double doors burst open causing me to reflexively sit up straighter as the first patron of the day walked in.

A tall muscular build filled the doorway. Dark brown locks glittering in the halo of sunlight streaming in from behind him.

I recognized him before I even looked at his face.

Ian.

I sent up a quick prayer of gratitude. At least now, I wouldn't die of boredom.

He had on a wide smile as sauntered over, to my desk.

"What?" I wore a confused smile.

"Practice is over. I killed it." His smile didn't diminish.

"Boxing?"

He nodded.

"I was just thinking about you," I revealed.

"You were, huh?" He wriggled his eyebrows, leaning over the desk so his face was only inches from mine.

"I was," I answered, pushing his head back a few much needed inches with my index finger. "It's a slow day," I added by way of an explanation before changing the subject. "You're unusually happy today. Why?"

"Nothing. Just in a good mood." He shrugged. "My sister's birthday is coming up and I just got her the perfect present. She's going to have a tea party." At this, he wrinkled his nose in derision. Fond derision, if that was a thing. "I have to go. With a date. Tammy."

"Have fun." Somehow, I managed not to laugh.

"At a nine year old's tea party?"

"You never know." I shrugged innocently.

He eyed me suspiciously, tilting his head to the side. "You're mocking me."

"Little bit." I nodded, unable to keep from smiling any longer.

He scowled. "How's Trevor?"

"Good."

"Just good?" he asked skeptically.

"We've been texting." I jerked one shoulder. "He seems cool."

Trevor's texts were the only reason I hadn't died of boredom yet. We had the most cringeworthy game going between us but it's was fun. I liked it. We were texting in song lyrics, and currently, I was winning. Speaking of which, I took out my phone and shot him a text.