08 - I'll take my heart attack cold and loud, thank you

He didn't show up the following day. Or the day after. I wasn't entirely sure where etiquette stood on stalkers but since we didn't exchange phone numbers, I couldn't exactly call to find out why.

To be entirely honest, it was a good thing for him because I went to my tutoring job and while I didn't know his specific tastes, I was willing to bet he wouldn't be a fan of standing out in the sun for ninety minutes since I wasn't going to take him into the house with me. Not in a million years, not ever. News that I brought an unknown boy to the Davidsons' home could very easily reach my parents since they were part of my parents' close knit circle.

Unfortunately, I intuitively knew that Masked Idiot's absence wasn't a sign he'd given up. I hoped to God it was but I wasn't big on lying to myself. I needed to have my facts straight in any given situation. It was one of the lessons my mom had drummed into my head while growing up.

He was probably just occupied with more pressing matters. As a criminal, among heaven knew what else, there was no way he was short on those.

Despite that theory, I couldn't help looking over my shoulder every time I stepped out. I couldn't shake the feeling I was being watched. It only got worse as the day progressed.

I was beyond relieved as I stepped into my house, safe from the malicious gaze that had followed me around. If it turned out to be Masked Idiot, he was going to get it from me. I had been jumpy all day. Me, cool, calm and collected Avy.

Unfortunately, I got held up finalizing plans for the debate and working out the kinks for the interschool quiz. Another last hurrah before graduation.

The quiz was between my school and our rivals, Westler High. For some reason, both schools had been rivals since the beginning of time. Unfortunately for Westler, since my sophomore year when I started representing my school, we've continuously been beating them. This was a last ditch attempt to salvage their dignity.

Not that it would amount to anything seeing as I wasn't going to lose.

My mother was less than pleased with my lateness. It had been tense between us since the fighting arena turned late dinner escapade and with the whole listicle elope-with-your-boyfriend thing but since I had a rock solid reason, she settled for a scowl as opposed to pulling out a trick from her patented Bring Your Child To Tears handbook.

A tense atmosphere descended during dinner and I focused on not making any blunders. It was the kind of silence that told you loud and clear that the other person was looking for any excuse to pick a fight.

I was determined not to give her one.

Luckily, Olly stepped into the diffuse the tension with a recount of her soccer match. I wisely kept my opinions to myself, remaining silent till the end of the affair. I definitely wasn't going to give my mom a bone to pick.

I even politely offered to take care of the plates although it wasn't my day.

With a sigh of relief at having avoided a confrontation, I trudged upstairs with my mother trailing behind me. We parted ways at the head of the stairs.

"Good night, Mom." I smiled.

"Good night."  She waved me away with a dismissive flick of her wrist.

Avy, one. Mom, zero.

I shut my room door behind me and fell back, propping myself against it.

"Okay. I'm good," I muttered softly, releasing my breath on a sigh as I straightened up and reached for the light switch. "That wasn't so bad. I just have to be on time for the rest of the week. I can do that."