Chapter 1: A First Glance

Chapter 1
                                                             A First Glance

                                                                  +Zayn+

I allowed it to happen. Yes, for the first time ever. I allowed my mother to marry some new man. Although I should hate the fact, I refused to. I allowed Jeffery to be my dad. But he could never replace my real dad. The one that died when I was just eight years old before the Christmas holidays, and went by the name of Charlie. Good man. Died fighting in the army. Only thing is that he died in his sleep. At least that ended his pain. Sleep. The memory of my father was too depressing for me that I had to stop. Plus, the pain of my father, led me to have a relationship. With a boy. Yes. A boy. As awkward as it sounds, it seemed rather normal to me. I can remember my relationship with the boy and his name. Chase. Chase Eden. I always kept his image in my head for keeps. Strangely. He appeared to be in his mid-20s, had light blue eyes and dark brown hair that went to just below his earlobes, and was styled in a casual disarray style. He was pale and had a good physique, toned and fit. Chase usually wore darker clothing: black boots under dark jeans, a black shirt, whether just a t-shirt or button up depends on the occasion, and I rarely saw him without his leather jacket. He was pretty. Just pretty.

I heard the voice of my mother from outside. "Zayn!" she called my name. "Zayn! Time for us to go!"

I had no choice but to go. My suitcase was already in Jeffery's trunk, I am already dressed. There is no other excuse for me not being in the car but pity. Sigh. I walked out of my old home in Phoenix, Arizona and heard Jeffrey's loud voice.

"Come on Zayn! You can walk faster than that!" he called. Mom smacked his arm and he rubbed it. I held back a laugh, but a slight smile curled on my face.

I sat in the back of the car with my mother while she had Jeffery drive me to the airport. The windows were rolled down. Seventy degrees in Phoenix. I was wearing my favorite shirt--- short-sleeved, color of blue, and crew neck; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture with my dark blue jeans and white converse.

I was going to be with my brother, older brother, Jake. I was going to be in the home of slightly warm weather but rather gray. Newtown, Connecticut. It was the gloomy, awkwardness of the town that caused my mother to leave with me and my brother when were kids from there. But Jake put his foot down and said to stay with dad, while I took mom's side. I did not want to go. I loved Phoenix. I loved the sun that shined down almost every day. I loved the delighting city. I will miss it so much. It was like great horror inside my soul, preparing to go to Newtown from Phoenix. I detested Newtown.

We came to the airport finally and I walked inside, rolling my suitcase and carrying my parka.

"Zayn," my mom said to me -- the last of a thousand times -- before I got on the plane. "You don't have to do this."

My mom looks like me, except with long hair, feminine features all over, and laugh lines. I felt a spasm of panic as I stared at her wide, childlike eyes. How could I leave my loving, erratic, harebrained mother to fend for herself? Of course she had Jeffery. Now bills can be paid, gas can be filled in the car, and food in the refrigerator, and someone to call if she got lost at some point. But still...

"I want to do this mom" I lied through my teeth. It was easy to tell when I was lying. I'd bite down my lip, look away a little and then glance back. But now, it seems convincing. I am able to hold down my signs and 'tells'.