Chapter 2

"Bonjour maman" I called out from the front door, I kicked my shoes off my tired feet, and I placed them neatly on the wooden shoe rack that was leaning against the wall. I quietly strolled along the rather narrow hallway, and I turned right into the kitchen and as I pushed opened the door the smell of food flowed straight into my nostrils. ("Hello mom")

"Hey Mom" I greeted again, and she turned around to look at me. She had her dark hair tied into a low bun and she was wearing a bright yellow apron. Underneath she had on a white t-shirt that read 'I love France' and navy-blue mom jeans.

My mother grinned happily at me, and she put the wooden spoon down on a white round plate.

"Ah Adrianna" My mother said in her very soft-spoken voice and when she uttered my name her French accent slipped through. My mom gave me a very welcoming hug, her arms caressing my back as we embraced each other.

"I heard you and Kyra laughing outside" My mom chuckled, and she turned her back away from as she walked towards the stove that was cooking something.

"Yeah, we were just being silly" I giggled as I leaned against the wooden dining table, and I scanned the four plates that were laid out neatly with both a knife and fork on each side along with ivory-coloured napkins. I furrowed my eyebrows and my eyes fixated on my mom.

"I thought it was just us three tonight" I said, and my mom turned around and handed me two extra plates.

"Five of us" My mom added, and I took the plates from her and I placed it on the empty space. I walked over to one of the kitchen drawers, grabbing another knife and fork. I used my hips to close it shut and my mind simply couldn't stop wondering on who the other two guests were.

"Wait, so who's coming?" I asked curiously and I put the knife and fork gently on the side of the platters. I rubbed my index finger against the wooden dining table and my mom began washing the dishes.

"Gabriella and her husband" My mom responded, and I gave her a shocked look even though she couldn't see me.

"I-I didn't know Gabby was back. I thought she was still on her honeymoon"

"Yeah, she returned home nearly a week ago. She's on her way with your father right now" My mom said and as she used the cloth that was draping over her shoulders to wipe her hands.

"O-okay why didn't you tell me? You know how long it's been since I've seen her" I stammered, and my mom sighed as she brought the large pot of food on the dining table.

"Well, I know how you feel about your sister. You always have something to say and there are some days when you don't want to have a conversation with her"

My mom dipped the spoon into the hot food, and she pointed at one of the plates. I picked it up and held it up to the pot's height.

What my mother just said was far from the truth. It wasn't true at all; Gaby and I just had an awkward bond sometimes and I didn't like being in awkward situations.

"Cajun Pasta. Gabby's favourite" I uttered as I switched the subject. I watched my mom as she dipped the incredibly hot food and dished it on one of the plates.

"See you're not even happy that I made pasta for her" My mom assumed, her voice a little heightened. I could tell that she was getting annoyed with me. I didn't mean to be annoying. I just didn't like the fact that my mother didn't tell me that my own sister was back from her honeymoon.

"I am happy"

My mom sighed and walked over to the sink as I thought about how my married sister and dad were coming home to eat today. It had been months since I've seen my dad and about two years since I've seen Gabby. If only I knew that they were coming I would've invited Kyra since she was good at making things less tense.