The Moment of Truth (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Mother enough, he knows about the boys and has accepted them. He already feels guilty enough about what happened and he's making up for it." Merlyn spoke quietly but firmly and Hunith turned to study her for a moment before turning back and pointing warningly at the Prince.

"If I hear that you've hurt any of them; I don't care if you are a Prince, I will hunt you to the ends of the earth if I have to and kill you with my bare hands. Is that understood?" Hunith threatened him, her voice a low growl. Arthur's eyes widened in genuine fear and he nodded rapidly.

"I said AM I UNDERSTOOD!" Hunith hissed and Arthur gulped.

"Y-yes ma'am." He said terrified. Hunith nodded and went back to sitting at the table leaving Arthur to watch her as if she were a tiger about to pounce and tear him to pieces.

Suddenly all the rage on her face was gone and it was lit with a beaming smile. "So boys tell me what it's been like living in Camelot." The twins looked at each other in shock before they started telling Hunith about their escapades, Arthur's eyes widened further at the sudden change and he looked to Merlyn for help.

Merlyn chuckled and came up beside him giving his arm a comforting rub. "Don't worry, you got the easy lecture." Arthur whipped his head to her and she gave him a pitying smile.

"THAT was the easy lecture, I feel like I just got eviscerated, my intestines wrapped around my neck and strangled without even putting up a fight." Arthur squawked while Merlyn laughed merrily.

"It was MUCH worse when I found out I was pregnant, trust me." Merlyn spoke quietly, her voice pained. Arthur sighed and pulled her into his side letting her head rest on his shoulder.

"I'll go ask for an audience with my father." He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before slipping out of her embrace and leaving quietly not wanting to attract Hunith's attention lest he get another pride shredding lecture. 

An hour later Hunith was stood before the king in the throne room wringing her hands nervously.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help." Hunith bowed her head humbly while the King remained indifferent.

"Ealdor's in Cenred's kingdom. Your safety is his responsibility." Uther told her monotonously.

"We've appealed to our King, but he cares little for the outlying regions. You're our only hope." She said quietly hoping the king would take pity.

"I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth." The King began.

"You'll help us?" Hunith asked hopefully.

"I wish I could." He sighed and rested his face on his fist.

"Surely we can spare a few men?" Arthur tried hoping not only to persuade his father but to also try to get in Hunith's good books.

"Resources are not the problem."

"Then what is?" Morgana piped up with a raised brow.

"Ealdor lies beyond the Ridge of Essetir. For an army of Camelot to enter it would be an act of war." Uther told them and Hunith's shoulders slumped in defeat.

"Father what if we go in plain travellers clothes, no cloaks or anything carrying the symbol of Camelot. Take a small force, defeat the raiders and be back with in the week." Arthur asked, Uther considered for a moment before shaking his head.