Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Mark's POV

"HELLOOO, NOAH! WHERE ARE YOU SWEET CHEEKS?!" A voice boomed through the house. The voice was distinctly female. My first instinct was to step in front of Layla and keep my eye on the door while my right hand reached for the revolver tucked into the back of my trousers.

"I'm in the kitchen Serena!" Noah had shouted back in response to the voice.

"No worries, I'll just drop my things off in my room and I'll be back in a moment." The new voice announced.

"WAIT! SERENA DON-"

The door swung open and a woman with long blonde hair stood there. Her eyes widened upon seeing me. Her green eyes widened further in shock before her mouth opened and released a horrified scream. The bags she held in her arms went tumbling down to the floor as she screamed her bloody lungs out.

"OH MY GOD WOULD YOU STOP SCREAMING!" Layla growled from behind me. The woman stopped and leaned to the side to catch a glimpse of Layla behind me. I stepped to the side with a roll of my eyes. My God, now I have to deal with a drama queen too?

"What on earth are you doing in my bedr-" The woman, Serena, began to say.

Noah came speeding into the room, much to my displeasure. "I forgot to tell you that we have a guest who will be staying with us for a while." Noah quipped sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Oh!" Serena perks. "Hi, I'm so sorry for screaming. This idiot forgot to tell me that you will be staying here. But then again, I just got back from my trip with my yoga group. My name's Serena. Pleased to meet you."

"Layla."

"Groovy name. I like it. Are there any other surprises I should know about?" Serena asks, turning to Noah with cold eyes. Noah gulped as he stared back at the blonde woman before him. Huh, so he is scared of something. I'll have to remember that.

"Well, Mark here is staying too." Noah adds. Serena side glances me before turning her gaze back to Noah then urges him to continue. "I didn't eat any meat while you were away if that is what you are talking about."

"Layla is his ex." I announce as I sit on the bed next to Layla and helped her into a sitting position. She flashes me a grateful smile. Her body felt cold as she leaned against me. Taking my suit jacket off, I slipped it around her shoulders and held her close to my chest.

I hoped that she couldn't hear or feel how fast my heart is racing because of her. I hope she doesn't realise that seeing her engulfed in my jacket gives me a sense of pride. The small endearment feeling like a momentary claim on her.

Her strawberry scented hair fills my nose and I fought the urge to just nuzzle her to smell even more of her. I wanted this and more. But I can't tell her my feelings. Not now, not anymore. I had planned so long ago to tell her my feelings when I came back from completing my training but she became so distant to me. I hadn't dared to tell her how I feel. Now, though, she has found someone she likes and I refuse to get in the way of that.

I realise that my feelings for her is going against all my training, and the rules, but my heart belongs to her; it has from the very first moment we met. I was enraptured by her. Her beauty, her voice, her eyes... Everything was hypnotic. Ever since, she's had me eating out of the palm of her hand.

"Layla, honey, this is Mark." Mrs Greenman told the girl in front of me. The girl looked from me, to her mom, then back to me. Her head cocked to the side as she examined me.

"How old is he?" The girl asked.

"I'm seven." I tell her, a bright smile on my face. She returns my smile and inches towards me shyly.