xvii. project prodigy

double update!
and death :)

"We have a problem."

Jungkook looked up at Taehyung burst into his room, a look of alarm on his face. He set his book down and sat up, arching an eyebrow at him.

"You know that private investigator that was looking into Yoongi?" Taehyung asked. "Turns out, he wasn't just doing that. He was trying to figure out who murdered the Lees, and according to Yoongi, he figured it out. He knows Yoongi's true identity. No doubt he knows yours too."

Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise, but not because he was concerned about the pending future. "But Yoongi has it figured out, right? I mean, he's the prodigy for a reason."

"HQ knows already," Taehyung answered, shaking his head. "I don't know what that kid is thinking. Is everything a game to him?"

Knowing Yoongi, Jungkook knew the answer was a resounding yes, but he didn't comment on it.

"We have to finish everything by tomorrow night," Taehyung sighed. "Damn, and I wanted to have my fun with Seokjin. Yoongi bought us time with Mingi."

"Why didn't Jooyoung just have him killed?" Jungkook asked, rolling his eyes. "Why do we have to play by Yoongi and Mingi's rules?"

"Because it'll look suspicious if Mingi dies," Taehyung answered sullenly. "He's the best private investigator this country has to offer. That doesn't come with intelligence. People will want to know what he came up with and why he was killed for it. Someone in his team is going to know. He has helpers all around his place. People will know he didn't die because of an accident. Unfortunately, Song Mingi is an enemy. Whatever Yoongi told him was to bluff him. We're in more danger than let on."

Jungkook frowned. Yoongi had always had a way with words, so it made sense that he would be able to make Mingi doubt his abilities. Either way, the government was on their side. Even if they weren't to kill Mingi, the government could always bribe him to stay silent. Yoongi's target was Hoseok, someone who had been previously involved with the President's daughter, which meant that if Mingi were to expose their organization and come clean, the President would also take fault— at least implicitly. There was too much at stake.

So much for Project Heartbreak's prodigy.

"Whatever you were planning on doing with those two, better figure it out quickly," Taehyung snapped, running his fingers through his hair. "Jooyoung is trying her best to keep things under control, but there's no going back when someone everyone respects uncovers a hidden organization. Project Heartbreak was at stake right now, everything and everyone involved in it.

Still, Jungkook wasn't too worried.

While it sucked to have to kill Jimin and Namjoon already, anything was better than nothing. Namjoon wasn't in love with Jungkook— far from it Jungkook supposed, but he knew that Jimin was. Namjoon loved Jimin above all else, so it would make sense that he would accept Jungkook for Jimin's sake.

At least he had succeeded in that front. He didn't want to have to kill them so early on, but knowing that it was either them or him. While it would hurt Jungkook to kill someone he'd genuinely started having a liking towards (friendship, never romantic, Jungkook would never fall for his targets), Jimin, he valued himself too much for that.

At least this way, Jungkook knew for certain he would have Yoongi.

It's not like he hadn't noticed Yoongi's subtle personality changes either. Usually, it wasn't hard to differentiate between their two personas, but Jungkook had difficulty telling Yoongi and Jihoon apart. Somewhere along the way, the two had blended, and Jungkook couldn't help but be suspicious. He wasn't aware if Taehyung had noticed as well.