xiv. project deception

as a reminder song seoyun is taehyung

"So when are you going to tell them that we're dating?"

Seokjin sighed, placing his hands on top of his desk. He looked back at Seoyun, who was staring at him impassively, eyes glinting almost in anger.

"I hate being tossed to the side," Seoyun continued, gritting his teeth. "You were the one that pursued me, and you don't even have the balls to let your best friends know that we're in a relationship."

"A work relationship is highly unethical, Seoyun," Seokjin stated. "You should understand that. I told you this. Publicly we are nothing but business affiliates. You are my photographer, and I am your boss. Privately, it's a different matter."

"Then you can't get mad at me for looking at other people," Seoyun crossed arms. "I know you got pissed off at how close I was with Jihoon. I could feel it."

"You're my boyfriend, Seoyun," Seokjin responded harshly. "Of course, I'd be pissed off seeing you trying to sleaze around with another man, especially one affiliated with one of my best friends."

Seoyun scoffed. "How are we supposed to make it work if you can't even admit that you're into me? Are you that ashamed of where I come from? Are you embarrassed to be dating someone who isn't rich like you?"

Seoyun was making this surprisingly difficult, and they hadn't even been dating for more than a week. Seokjin considered their romance to be a whirlwind, something that occurred because of spruced up emotions, heightened ones that only revved Seokjin's inner desires. He'd finally found a worthy match in someone, but right now, that certain someone was acting like he deserved way more than Seokjin was already giving him.

"You know it's not like that."

It wasn't.

Seokjin knew what being poor was. He'd been raised in poverty, after all. The only reason he was where he was now was because of how wrapped up he'd gotten Adeline and Juno and his successful blackmail. Of course, he'd only flourished his wealth since then, but it was still something that had required a lot of patience. Patience was a virtue Seokjin had learned, and from the looks of it, Seoyun clearly lacked.

"I'm sorry," Seoyun whispered, casting his head down. "I just...I want to be appreciated by you. I feel useless when you introduce me as someone I'm not. You're my boyfriend. We're a couple, but it feels like we're not."

"You almost sound as if you were in love with me, Seo," Seokjin smiled placidly, arching an eyebrow. Seoyun blinked in surprise before taking a couple of steps back. "If you are, it's okay. I know it isn't hard to fall in love with someone like me."

"You're delusional," Seoyun scoffed, his cheeks burning bright red. "There's no way that I'd fall for you this quickly."

"Why not?" Seokjin hummed, smiling even wider. "Lots of people have fallen faster than you, men and women alike. You know what I do to those who confess their love?"

Seoyun gulped.

"I tell them I don't want them," Seokjin chuckled, approaching Seoyun. "I tell them I will never have feelings for them. Seoyun, I break their hearts, leave them shattered to pieces. How do you know I won't do the same to you?"

In truth, Seokjin was looking forward to Seoyun's answer. Nothing that Seokjin had said was a lie— every time someone uttered the words 'I love you,' it left with the urge to break the person's heart into shreds. It's not that he was incapable of love, but if there was one thing that turned off Seokjin the most in any relationship as if the person he was dating admitted such lies.