Chosen - chapter twenty-five

Start from the beginning

"If he's sewing that's more than a scrape." She positioned herself at the physicians hand and watched, tusking. "Such sloppy work. Give me."

She pushed the elderly man out of the way and cut out the threading.

"What are you doing?" Cassius asked.

"That sloppy work will leave a scar. You really should have more careful physicians in your household."

"I bed pardon, madame. My work is most certainly not sloppy."

She side-eyed the man and pulled out a needle of her own. She threaded it with a very thing thread and restuck my arm.

"Ouch."

"Shush now. It doesn't hurt," Angeline mumbled. "Did you know the assailant?"

"No, but I saw him meeting with Princess Mary earlier this evening."

"The princess?" she gasped.

"Yes, my sister," Cassius grumbled, signing his name and melting red wax to apply his seal to the warrant.

"What shall be done about her?" Angeline asked, glancing at the man across the room who never looked up. "I understand. I'll fetch fresh water and towels to properly finish cleaning this wound. Do you need clothing?"

"Um, yeah. I could use one of my own sleeping gowns." I stood near a window, blood still on my arms and face. I must have hit an artery when killing the man.

"I shall remove the threading in a few days' time. Do be careful not to rip them or reinjure yourself. If you are hiding the wound, long sleeved gowns would be best for a few weeks."

"Yes. Thank you," I mumbled.

"You may go," Cassius ordered.

"I'll be right back," Angeline called, ducking from the room.

I turned to look at the bed, tears welling in my eyes, blood had pooled on Cassius's side, and the white sheets splattered with my own. I turned with a start when a hand rested on my shoulder.

"I'm fine. You're alive. She'll be taken care of."

"I suppose. This is just a rather unfortunate wound to have received." I motioned to the sticky wet spot that had spread all over the back of my gown.

He pulled the gown off my shoulders, allowing it to fall to my waist. He ran his soft hands over the seeping wounds. It still hurt more than I thought possible.

"Sit near the fire and drink." He instructed.

I gladly accepted the bottle, throwing all decorum out the window. Tipping back the crystal bottle, I took a long swig, allowing the amber liquid to fill my belly with fire. Angeline would return shortly with soaps and ointments to finish cleaning the wound and help wash the blood off. Cassius took one of his towels and rung it in a basin of water, soaping it up. I sat in the opulent chair and drank a bit more. Cassius returned to my side slowly wiping blood from my shoulder. Angeline returned with the supplies and placed them near me.

"Stop. That's not doing a think," she ordered Cassius.

He placed the dirty towel in his basin and watched her work her wonders. Angeline took a clean, white towel to the warm water, lathered it with soap. She picked up a small white vile and added a few drops to the soap. She grabbed another green bottle and uncorked it. A strong aroma of turmeric and honey.

"Hold on," I stuttered, reaching for the bottle of whiskey.

"Are you okay, Joselyn?" Angeline asked, pressing the warm towel to my shoulder.