Barely Hanging On

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Harry, just the guy I wanted to see," Mitch says with a beaming smile etched into his cheeks.

"Hey you," I smile, pulling the slender boy in for a tight hug. He returns the gesture, wrapping his arms tightly around my shoulders and squeezing me against his body.

We've been getting closer these last few days, ever since his apology. The time that's typically occupied by Louis is now filled up by Mitch and It's something I'm truly grateful for. Being around him is very simple. I don't have to pick his brain to know what he's thinking, he'll just say it. I could get used to having him around.

"What are you doing here?" I ask once we break the hug. I ignore the definite stares from Liam and Ed because I already know what the both of them are thinking.

"Well, I've been a bit bored today, figured we could go do something? Maybe get some food, hang out at my place?" Mitch offers, quickly and casually swiping his thumb over my cheek to remove something I didn't even know was there.

"I'd love to, but I'm so exhausted. We've been working all day. Can I take a rain check?" I say with a smile, stuffing my freezing hands into the pockets of my jacket.

"Sure, you got a day in mind?"

"How about tomorrow? I'll get home at around 4 so we can hang out for a few hours," I explain, Mitch nodding. "You still have my address in your phone?"

"Yeah. Hopefully, I get to use it this time," He jokes and I'm surprised that I'm actually able to laugh at it.

"Great, I'll see you tomorrow then."

"See you tomorrow, H," he smiles, giving me another hug before walking back over to his car. I smile as I watch him leave. I turn around, gasping quietly at the sight of Ed and Liam watching me with a knowing grin.

"Don't start," I say with a roll of my eyes.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say Harry's got himself a little date."

"It's not like that. Can't two people just hang out without there being something more going on?" I defend, glancing over at the bus stop on the corner. I don't feel like waiting for my mum to show up so I might as well just take the bus.

"Well, either way, I'm glad to see you aren't hanging out with Louis anymore. That guy's seriously fucked up. You know he told everyone at your school that my friend did something to him? Nate hardly glanced in the guy's direction, and he accused him of taking advantage of him. What a fucking weirdo."

I open my mouth to defend him, and truly I was going to do it. The words were right there on the tip of my tongue, ready to spew. But I can't help but feel like it isn't my place anymore. If it were a month ago, I'd tell Ed to fuck off and not speak about something he knows nothing about, but as I said, it's not my place anymore.

So I bite my tongue, nod once, and say a quick goodbye before heading over to the bus stop for my ride home.

---

I sigh at the warmth of our house the minute I walk through the door, shrugging off my coat and hanging it on the hook by our door. Mum walks in from the kitchen, holding her phone up to her ear as she talks into it. She looks at me confusedly before glancing at the clock in the kitchen and facepalming.

"I'm so sorry love, I didn't realize what time it was," she whispers, holding the phone away from her ear.

"'s alright," I smile at her. "Who are you talking to?" I ask.

"Your grandmother."

I tilt my head to the side, eyes squinted as my mum shrugs it off. Her mother passed a few years ago, so that means she's on the phone with my father's mother. It's strange to me we're still expected to keep contact with that side of the family, considering my father's absence, but I don't comment on it.