« Chapter Forty »

She laid with her mate. 

It was like the aftermath of one giant storm that had torn through their lives and somehow cleared their path so that they could see what laid ahead for them; and now they were compelled to keep moving with the tide. She couldn't stop thinking about it. As much as this would have been a perfect ending, letting the storm pass, she wanted something more. She wanted to chase the storm and dance in its rain with the wildest heart.

An adventure that will last a lifetime. 

She was ready to do something that didn't play by the rules of the world and it was purely fueled by passion to live in every moment and regret nothing. She had spent her entire life letting people tell her what to do but not anymore, she was taking control of her own destiny. 

She tipped her head back and looked up at her mate. 

Their destiny.

It was time to do what they truly loved, what they truly wanted, and forget about the world trying to tell them otherwise. Cassius was never one to live life shyly, he was all about making hearts sing and souls happy, but it was time that he made himself happy. Truly doing what his heart longed for and his wolf cried for. 

They made a choice for themselves and it was liberating because it was unexpected--but it was those decisions that often brought the best memories. They would no longer be held back by the traditions of the world, the box that the rules tried to shove them in, and they were going off the deep end with their hearts. 

Because in the end, life is too short to live by the rules. Live life wildly, freely, and passionately. Make memories, take adventures, and don't be sorry about any of it. 

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Cassius asked. 

She smiled, "With all my heart."

"Last chance to back out," He quirked a brow playfully. 

She smiled warmly, "I'll follow you anywhere." 

He groaned, "God, I can't say no to that," He leaned down and kissed her softly, "Alright, I'll talk with Leroy but I don't think he'll like it." 

"Seriously?" She slapped his arm, "After what he told us yesterday? You know he'll be understanding and he kind of already agreed to it. I think he already knows." 

He stuck his tongue out at her, knowing she was right, and then extended his hand to help her off the bed. They walked down the hall, descended the stairs, and then he knocked on Leroy's office door. She slapped his arm in mock surprise, he never knocked, and he shot her a look---to which she only laughed silently.

"Come in," Leroy said from inside.

They entered together, hand-in-hand, and Leroy looked at them in surprise. After glancing at the clock to see the hour, his brows furrowed in question and confusion. 

"Everything okay?" Leroy asked. She nodded, assuring Leroy that nothing was seriously wrong, and then looked at Cassius to explain. Leroy looked between the two of them with raised brows.

Cassius finally sighed, "So, I've been thinking about what you said."

Leroy didn't say anything, he closed his laptop and settled his undivided attention on Cassius.

"Well don't make it like that," Cassius suddenly whined, "Makes me feel like a specimen under a microscope! I feel naked!" She elbowed him and he swatted at her hand childishly.

Leroy gave him a flat look, "Spit it out already."

"Okay, well," Cassius rubbed the back of his neck, "Ever since I shifted, I've been wanting to run for a while and I couldn't just abandon my responsibilities, so I ignored it, but then what you said yesterday just made it seem like the right answer."