« Chapter Twenty »

Right after the ceremony, she mingled with the pack. 

Well, people she could call her family now. They had a dinner planned in celebration but everyone had decided they wanted to wait for Reeve and the rest of the family before they did a celebratory run under the moon. She was excited to meet the strong woman who had inspired her. However, she felt torn between joining the pack for the run or staying with her mate. He was a halfblood and she loved him no less but she didn't want to exclude him for a second. 

Cassius engulfed her in a hug from behind and he kissed beneath her ear. "Congratulations, love, you're officially a part of the family. Soon, you will be the Beta Female," He murmured in her ear, his breath tickling her skin with delightful shivers. 

"Thank you," She leaned into him. 

"Want to get out of here?" He asked. 

She glanced around at everyone chattering, she had talked with almost everyone at this point, and she turned to her mate with a grin, "Sure, what do you have in mind?" 

He shrugged, "A walk?" 

She allowed him to tug her along by their clasped hands. She would follow him anywhere. He led her into the forest and she already knew where they were going. Sure enough, the river's edge came into view. It almost looked heavenly as it reflected the sunlight like snowflakes on a winter day. A sense of peace washed over her and she smiled. This was a place of thoughtfulness, a place to forget the world and focus on what was happening on the inside. 

She remembered the last time she was in this very place. It had been in a different state of mind, she was battling her past, but now she was a fresh slate. Ready to discover every piece of what she once thought was lost. Every piece that she had allowed people to steal, she was taking it back, one by one. It was all settling in, lifting her spirits every day, and she had already found what she had truly longed for. Family. 

A place to call home. 

Cassius gave her hand a gentle squeeze, grinning her way, and she wanted to melt into him like sweet ice cream under the sun. He was her sun. Even on the darkest days, his green eyes were shining. His smile was blinding. His laugh was infectious. And his heart was so big, he loved everyone around him with such a gentle, sweet love. But she was lucky for she could explore that love to new places because this incredible man...he was hers. 

"What are you thinking about?" He asked. 

She gazed up at him, "You." 

"Oh?" He rose an amused eyebrow, "Are they good thoughts? Or are you thinking about shaving off my other eyebrow because you have a secret alliance with Emmett?" 

She cracked up at that and, after a long moment, she swatted his shoulder, "No, silly. I wouldn't dare." 

He groaned, "Darn. I was hoping you'd have a prankster side. But that's alright," He drew her closer, "I'm perfectly fine with drowning in your love." 

She was intoxicated and before she could think a clear thought, their lips were connected. It was heated, passionate, and so emotional. He was kissing her like he'd never get the chance again and her breath was utterly stolen from her lungs as feelings surged through her like tidal waves. Her heartbeat with a crazy rhythm, one of love. Her fingers dug into his hair, pulling him impossibly closer, and he grinned against her lips. 

"Impatient, are we?" He teased. 

She rolled her eyes at him, "You're the one that keeps kissing me." She teased right back.