Chapter Eight : Kiss Me Quick

K I S S  M E  Q U I C K

Thomas

Myself and Sam are back at the gym. Nothing makes me feel better about myself than a good workout or a run.

We cool down, sitting on the benches together, taking long sips of our water. We have a catch up, taking about work and college but the conversation soon finds itself landing on Isabelle as it somehow usually does. I briefly tell him about the argument we had a few nights ago.

He nods along, listening intently but doesn't really say anything about it. I suppose he doesn't want to take any sides as he's friends with both of us now. I'd like him to take my side because he's my best friend but I was in the wrong.

"She went off with some guy at the fair." Sam's words irritate me like a boiling hot itch around my collar. I'm not particularly fond of the thought of her being with whoever this man was. "I didn't recognise him but she did." He shrugs. "She seemed fine with him but was weirdly startled at first."

"Hmm. Do you think someone has hurt her?" I ask, referencing back to her bruises. "Maybe her Dad or someone?" I try to piece it back together in my mind. "I don't think she has a boyfriend. If she does - she's not mentioned it and it would be weird for her to be living with me if that was the case."

"Honestly, I couldn't say." Sam shakes his head, as clueless am I am. "How has she seemed recently?"

"I don't know. She's a bag of nerves one moment and then the next she's ballsey and confident. I've never met anyone quite like her." My voice tracks off as I think about it.

"Do you like her?" His next question breaks my line of thought.

"She's a nice girl." I'm unsure how to answer this question. Scratch that – I'm unsure of how honest I should be answering this question. "She can be a bit... crazy sometimes. She eats all of my snacks but she does make breakfast and dinner, sometimes lunch... and she cuts my hair."

"You're not answering my question." Sam points out, raising his eyebrows at me.

"She's not really my type." I resort, wrinkling my nose up.

"That still doesn't answer my question." I don't know where to go from there. "When has your type ever worked out for you before?"

"What are you saying Sam? You know I don't do relationships."

"No, I know you haven't done relationships. The only thing from stopping you from getting into one is you." I sigh.

"It sounds like you're trying to put us together."

"I know it's early and that you've basically only just met but look... she's a really nice, cool, grounded girl. Maybe she's not what you think you want. But she might be what you need."

I take a moment, thinking about it in my mind. The idea of having her around has slowly crept up and grown on me. When we're not bickering, she's easy to get along with. She is a pretty girl, like I said, not someone I've gone for in the past but she's become more and more attractive the more time I've spent with her thus getting to know her.

Regardless – I don't do relationships. I'm young and single and I like that. Would her showing interest sway me? Could it change my mind? I don't know.

When I lift my head I frown at the sight of her walking towards us. How convenient.

"Why have you gone quiet. You guys talking about me?" She asks with a playful chuckle. There's no way she could've heard that conversation – I think.