Chapter Fifteen : Quick Fix

Q U I C K  F I X

Thomas

It's not long before we're back at the apartment. Isabelle hasn't said anything since she got back in the car. Even when Sam asked if she was okay before he dropped us off she was silent, her only response a nod. I've never seen anyone have a breakdown quite like that. It was terrifying.

I don't have to ask if it was a nightmare. All three of us knew as soon as she had woken up. The sounds of her screams are absolute torture to listen to and I hope I don't ever have to hear them ever again.

I stop inside the apartment, taking my shoes off. She continues on, her hands holding on to her opposite elbows. I hurry after her, wanting to make sure she's actually okay and feeling better.

"Is, are you alright?" I ask, catching up with her as she speeds off to her bedroom.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I just need to get to bed." She sniffs, her voice sounding sore.

"Are we okay?" She halts and her shoulders drop with a sigh.

"Yeah." She keeps her back to me as if she can't even bring herself to look in my general direction.

"Are you sure? Because today, I-."

"Thomas, stop it." She takes the words out of my mouth, stopping me. She turns, her puffy eyes tired.

"I just screamed bloody murder in the back of Sam's car and scared the crap out of everyone.  It's been the longest day and I really don't want to talk about how I'm pissed off with you right now. I just want to go to bed." She unloads, blinking the tears that are forming in her eyes away.

"Oh." I'm a little taken back because I wasn't expecting that. "Okay." I nod with a low voice, faintly frowning. She falters at my reaction and I watch her body tighten up with guilt. She gulps.

"Goodnight." She dives into her room before another word is spoken.

After brushing my teeth, washing my face and undressing into my boxers, I fall back onto my bed. I lay there for a moment, my hand resting on my stomach, my other bent above my head. God, I really am messing things up. How do I keep making so many mistakes?

On the table beside my bed, my phone vibrates. I crawl over to it and answer a phone call from Sam.

"Hey. Did you get in alright?" Sam asks down the line.

"Yeah. Are you back now?" I roll onto my back once again, holding the phone at my ear.

"I am now, yeah. How is she looking?"

"She says she's okay but she went straight to bed. She probably won't sleep well or at all." I rub my face.

"Okay. I'll text her tomorrow and see how she's doing."

"She's mad at me." I sigh.

"Have you only just worked that out?" He exclaims. I knew something was up with her but I wasn't a hundred percent sure that the reason was me.

"I don't know what I'm doing, Sam. I – I don't do relationships. I've never liked a girl like this." I struggle to explain myself. "I'm starting to really fucking like her man and I have no idea what to do."

"I don't know either man. I'm not the person to be asking really. If you want that sort of advice then go to someone else." A lightbulb flashes over the top of my head.

"Hey Sam. I'll speak to you tomorrow." After quickly saying goodbye, I hang up. Sitting up at the end of my bed, I wait patiently listening to my phone ringing.