Chapter Thirty Three : All While I'm Asleep

A L L W H I L E I'M A S L E E P

Thomas

The rest of the day feels strange. I can't wrap my head around it. I know and have been assured that Sam is fine and will most likely make a good recovery. I've just never seen anything like this before. It's something you'd see in movies, not in real life.

I believe that there's absolutely no way that it's not got anything to with Nate but I don't want to plant that idea any further into Isabelle's head because I know she'll take it upon her own shoulders and take the blame for it.

Since we got back, Isabelle has kept herself in bed all day, even calling in to work saying she's not going in. She's not sulking, but she's feeling sorry for Sam and above all else – guilty. I lightly tap my knuckles against the door before speaking.

"Are you alright?" I listen out for her reply but I don't get one. I know she isn't asleep, her mind is too overworked to be able to sleep right now. "I think I'm going to go for a drive. Do you want to come with me?"

"No." She answers, her voice muffled through the walls.

"Is, I don't think-." I start.

"Just leave me alone Thomas. I don't want to come." She cuts me off and I straighten up with a sharp sigh.

"Okay. I won't be long." I give up and head on down to my car on my own. I buckle my seat belt in and start the ignition.

I drive around for a while, in an attempt to clear my mind. By focusing on the road, I hope it'll distract me from everything else that's going on. It's not long before my stomach starts to rumble and I decide to stop off at a drive-thru and eat in the parking lot.

After texting Isabelle to see if she wants anything, I contemplate calling my Mom. With the line ringing, I put it on speaker and put my phone down.

"Hey honey. How's things?" She cheerfully answers. I let out a long sigh, unsure on how to even start explaining what's happened. "What? What is it?"

"Sam's in hospital. He got jumped by these guys. They keep saying he's alright but he looks... God he doesn't even look like himself."

"Oh my God. Do you know anymore of what happened?" She asks.

"No. I think the officer said there was definitely more than one of them but they're investigating. I have been to see him, he's in an induced coma so the doctors can keep an eye on him." I pause, thinking over what I want to say next. "I'm going to say something now, if you promise not to worry."

"You know I'll always worry Thomas but yes, I'll try my best." I soften at her response.

"Isabelle has an ex-boyfriend who she left because he was abusive and that's putting it lightly. He's got a lot of dangerous friends and Isabelle is convinced it has something to do with him. I'll be honest, I don't think she's too far off the right idea."

"So is that why she was living with you?" I almost laugh. She's too quick at catching onto things.

"Yeah. Sam brought her here because I had the extra space. Obviously things just picked up from there. Now I just don't know what to do. I don't want to act too rashly and worry Isabelle anymore than she already is but this guy and his friends are capable of a lot."

"Are you thinking about security? I have a contact that I can give you if you decide you want it."

"Yeah, I might keep that mind actually. Thank you."

"And if you or Isabelle want to come and stay with me for a while then that's totally okay. I don't care how much of a pain in the ass you are to live with-." I laugh at her. "As long as you're safe. Both of you."