Chapter Twenty One : Toxic

T O X I C

Thomas

I wince at the bright sun that's seeping into the room. It casts golden highlights over Isabelle, catching her stray hairs and the ends of her eyelashes. I adjust the covers over my naked body, feeling rejuvenated and fresh.

I fondly recall what happened last night - maybe moving slowly wasn't a bad idea after all. Maybe I'll take her to visit her parents more often.

With the back of my fingers, I brush the side of her messy hair. She stirs, giving me a dopey smile, still very asleep. Her eyes meet mine for less than a second and she heavily closes them again. I let out a chuckle before stroking the cold skin of her face.

"You're amazing, do you know that?" I whisper, scooping her up towards me

"Yeah." She answers sleepily.

"Oh you do, do you?" I start ticking underneath her armpits making her fall into fits of croaky squeals. She kicks out under the sheets, managing to tickle my sides back. We both have to stop, the laughter giving me stitches.

"Come on." I kiss her forehead. "Let's get up."

"Five more minutes." She complains and buries herself under the covers.

"I'm getting up now." I fling forward, jumping out of bed. "Once you're up you can watch over me while I make some breakfast for us, okay?"

"Mmhm." I grab my phone and leave her still cuddled up in bed, a skip in my step as I head for the kitchen. I raid the cupboard, getting out everything I think I'll need. On the side, my cell buzzes and I glance over to see Mom's picture on my screen. I tap on the little green button.

"Hey honey, how are you?" She greets me.

"Hi Mom, I'm good thanks." I stretch my arms out with a yawn, perching on a stool around the island. "How are you?"

"I'm well. All is fine over here. Do you think you have everything you need for next week?"

"Yeah. I got some wedding presents as well. Elliot swung by."

"Oh that's nice!" She replies, cheerily. "So what are you up to?"

"Not much. I've got to finish up some college work and then I'll be able to chill out for a few days."

"Well, I thought I'd check in now because I'm going to be up to my neck in work for the next few days."

"Oh really?" I ask, picking at the end of a banana that sits in the fruit bowl. "How come?"

"Well, I'm taking days off for this extensive trip. You know, my wedding was only celebrated on one day with a weeks honeymoon, not a week celebrating with another two week holiday." She explains, a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Well, yeah. That's because he's an asshole." I shrug.

"Thomas-." I don't catch the rest of her sentence because I look up, seeing Isabelle coming through into the kitchen.

Her hair is tied up and she's drowning in an oversized hoodie. She wrinkles her nose, still waking herself up. Her lips are lined with a glossy lip balm and her cheeks are a little pink from the morning.

"I'll be two minutes." I explain to her, holding up the right amount of fingers.

"Okay." She smiles.

"Oh, is that Isabelle?" Mom inquires down the line.

"Yeah." I respond bluntly.

"Why don't you put her on the phone for me?" She presses.