Chapter Five : Square One

S Q U A R E  O N E

Thomas

For the majority of the night, I stay sat in the booth with Sam and Wesley. Charlie has chased after several conquests, failing miserably every time. He's too desperate and that's why girls aren't interested. I act like I don't give a fuck and it's because I actually don't - but the girls seem to love me.

They like to think they can be the ones to change me. I don't need to be changed. I don't do relationships just like I don't do breakfast or sleepovers with girls I've slept with. But that's beside the point – Charlie tries too hard.

"Fucking hell." He slumps down beside me. "Tonight just isn't my night." I let out a laugh, patting his knee. "Come with me next time, I've got more of a shot of getting laid if you're my wingman."

"Not a chance." I shake my head, chugging my beer. "I'm not going to witness that car crash."

"I don't know what's wrong with me." He checks the time on his phone. "Usually I'd be getting head in the restrooms by now."

Sure Charlie. Whatever you say.

"What's your deal tonight? You aren't yourself." He asks, nudging up closer to me so we can talk without being overhead.

"It's nothing. Just stuff on my mind." I look away.

Charlie isn't someone you'd want to share any kind of personal information with. He's a gossip, even if he tells you he isn't - he is and we all know it. Sam is my guy. I've been best friends with him since I was like ten years old. He's the person I tell pretty much everything. He's the only person I feel like I can be myself around.

Speaking of, Sam captures my attention from the opposite side of the booth. He uses his blonde head to gesture into the crowd of mindless bodies, dancing along to the music. I frown in confusion until I spot her again.

She's back on the dance floor but this time she isn't alone.

A guy, only just taller than her is stood behind her as she sways her hips side to side. He's got an awful haircut and isn't half as good looking as I am.

She's smiling now, tipsy and lost in the music. I let a short huff out of my nose as his hands land on her sides, guiding her to dance up against him. I repeatedly tap my outstretched foot on the floor.

I'm annoyed. I'm annoyed that I'm staring at her and she isn't looking at me. She hasn't even clocked me.

"No way, is that-?" I cut Sam off as he leans over the table.

"Yep." I reply, slightly irked. People start to fill in, blocking my perfect view from where I'm sat. I start to move my head around to find her again.

"See something you like Tom?" Owen notices. I shake my head, leaning back, defeated.

Shit. I feel as pathetic as Charlie does.

"Look what we have here!" Charlie says, rubbing his hands as Cassidy and her posse strut over to us.

We greet everyone, some of them squeezing into the booth with us. Cassidy stands in front of me, gazing at me through her eyelashes. Cassidy is hot, there's no denying it. As much as she's totally my type, I find it hard wanting to hook up with her. She has a god complex, which is a complete turn off. But she's a nice enough girl. I know she's keen on me, she doesn't keep that a secret. I also enjoy our harmless, back and forth flirting.

"Having a good night?" I ask, rolling my shoulders back comfortably.

"I am now." She starts chewing on her lip. "Don't you look delicious."