Chapter Twenty : Safe

S A F E

Isabelle

The flashes of orange and green trees pass as we speed down the endless roads back to my family house. It's about an hours drive, enough time to over think every single outcome possible. We're not far off now and the nerves are kicking in. If the window wasn't slightly open, letting the cool breeze in, I would be throwing up right now.

My legs are shaking, anxious. Thomas glances over and then puts his eyes back on the road. His hand softly lands on my thigh.

"What's wrong? You said they sounded excited to hear from you." He rubs his thumb along my leg and gently squeezes.

"What if they have these expectations of me now?" I twist myself around, shaking my hands. "I've not seen them in so long."

"They're still your parents. No matter what, it's obvious they care about you." I let out a long, deep breath. "Tell them what you're comfortable with. If you don't want to be there anymore, excuse yourself and call me. I'll come and get you straight away. But you can do this, Is." I give him a short smile and he subtly winks at me.

After the longest ten minutes of my life, he pulls up outside my old house. The sight of the pale brown house with white windows and a porch, sheltered by a grey roof, makes my heart clench. A cobbled path leads up to a red wooden door, surrounded by perfectly cut grass. I let out a quick breath, preparing myself.

"You've got this." I give him a nervous smile and then a nod. I get out of the car, clenching my sweaty hands as I walk up to the house. I ring the doorbell and adjust my hair.

Glancing back at Thomas, he gives me the thumbs up through the window. The door opens with a click and I look back.

A woman, with watery blue eyes and brown hair that's swept back off of her face stands before me. She instantly bursts into tears and we collide into a tight hug. With my eyes shut, I hear Thomas' engine start up and he drives away.

"God, look at you." She cups my face, her cheeks wet with happy tears. "You look so grown up."

We step inside and I take my shoes off, leaving them beside the door. My Dad comes bouncing down the familiar hallway, his hands speckled with white paint. Even then we still hug but he makes sure not to get any of it on me.

We continue on down, passing all the same photos of us that are still hanging on the wall. We get to the cream living room, decorated with plants that Mom tends to. I politely perch myself on the edge of the leather couch.

"Andrew, go clean yourself up." Mom chuckles, sending him away. "Isabelle, would you like a drink?"

"No, no. I'm fine." I decline. "How are you?"

"We're good. We're both so excited you called." She beams, sitting opposite me. Dad comes back in, resting on the other side of the couch.

"I'm really sorry." I start with a sigh. "I thought you'd be mad and upset with me." I avoid their kind eyes.

"Of course not, honey." Dad tilts his head. "We've been worried. We knew something wasn't right."

"Yeah, so. I'd like to just quickly explain, if that's alright?" They both nod and I dive into the story of the abuse and toxicity of mine and Nate's relationship. They listen, not interrupting me once. They look sorry for me and they look sad for me, which makes me feel even worse about everything.

"I lost contact with all my friends and you guys but it was so gradual that I hadn't really noticed until I was stuck. But now I'm not and that's why I'm here."