Chapter Forty Four : Everything

E V E R Y T H I N G

Isabelle

Stretching my arms out, I shuffle myself into the comfortable mattress, concealing my eyes from the light of the morning. I have to blink a few times to adjust. I'm engulfed by the sheets that smell like him but when I reach out for him, he's not here.

I groan and roll my shoulders out, sitting myself up. It takes me a few good seconds before I realize it's Christmas morning. It's like I immediately wake up, hopping out of bed. I quickly pick out a hoodie and shorts to wear, knowing we'll be getting dressed up later on. I dive into the bathroom, fixing my hair and washing my face before making my way downstairs.

I follow the sound of chatter and find myself at the door of the kitchen where a shirtless Thomas is laughing with my parents and Sherri. I lean up against the doorframe, resting my head on it and folding my arms. He looks so handsome when he laughs and even more so, now he's with my parents.

I bite down on the inside of my cheek, staring at his tanned body that flexes with every one of his movements. I quietly hum along to the Christmas music that's playing. After a few short moments, he notices me and walks over with a twinkle in his emerald eyes.

"Good morning sleepy head." He gives me a quick, delicate kiss.

"Mmm." I happily hum against his mouth. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas baby." He returns, his voice as low and soft as mine.

"Ah! Hello!" My Mom beams, beckoning me over. I race over into her arms, squeezing tightly. I wish her and Dad a Merry Christmas after hugging them both.

"Morning Isabelle!" Sherri says in a singsong tune. "What do you want to drink? I've got OJ or wine."

"Wine? This early?" I laugh as Thomas moves in behind me, pressing his bare chest to my back. I touch him, stretching my arms around behind me to hold onto his back.

"It's Christmas." Sherri shrugs.

"Okay. Wine it is then." I chuckle and she cracks open the bottle.

"You've raised her well." Sherri winks at my parents, making them both laugh.

**

After Sherri sets out a platter of pastries for breakfast, everyone goes back upstairs to get some kind of ready to open the presents. Sam and his parents have since turned up. Rex has been running around excitedly since seeing all the presents underneath the tree.

We set up in the grand living room, handing out gifts to the assigned person but most of them are toys for Rex. He tears through the wrapping paper, too impatient to wait. He gets Nick or Amanda to get the toy out of whatever plastic it's stuck in so he can play with it for thirty seconds before moving onto his next one.

My Mom passes over a small blue box with a golden glittery bow wrapped around it. Her handwriting is on the tag reading, 'To our darling daughter, love from Mom and Dad.' With a smile, I carefully untie the ribbon and peek into the box.

Sat in the middle of some white tissue paper, is a small compact mirror with white daisies painted on it. It closely resembles the one I had years and years ago. I look up to her, both my Mom and Dad waiting for my reaction.

"I love it." I beam. "Thank you." They grin together and then my Dad passes a bigger box over to Thomas who takes it with a surprised look on his face.

He happily shreds through the wrapping, opening the box up to a pair of sleek, black, shiny shoes. He takes them out to observe them and Sherri makes a pleased cooing noise.