Chapter Forty : Thin Ice

T H I N I C E

Isabelle

My legs swing off of the counter one by one as I happily sit, humming to the radio that's playing in the salon. I keep stealing from Violet's fruit salad as she sits beside me. Despite her playfully battering me away, she still leaves some of it left for me to have.

"You two are like kids." Eva shakes her head with a smile, cleaning up the shelves.

"Lighten up. It's Christmas time!" Violet beams happily.

"Not quite." Eva quirks an eyebrow at the pair of us.

"It's going to be the best one yet, I just know it!" Violet links her arm around mine, pulling me into her side before lowering her voice. "I'm meeting her family."

"Oh that's so exciting!" I grin. "We're planning on seeing Thomas' family so that'll be fun."

"What have you bought him?" Eva questions, joining us. I give her a slightly unsure look.

"I haven't got him anything. We both said we weren't." I explain. "Why? Do you think I should?"

"I mean... he does have pretty much everything that he already wants but a nice gesture wouldn't go amiss. I can only assume that no one has really done anything like that for him before." Eva suggests and I nod along.

"Yeah. That would actually be really cute. I'll think about it." I smile. Violet swoons and rests her head on my shoulder.

"I love Christmas." She sighs and I laugh. We hear the bell on the door at the front ring so Eva rushes off to see who is it. Violet and I jump off of the counter, brushing ourselves down so we're ready for customers.

"Just this way." Eva comes back into the room with a uncomfortable wince on her face.

I frown and then look behind her to see Cassidy stalking in, her head held high, followed by Lara and then Paige who greets us with a smile. Eva comes up beside me, pretending to grab something with her back to them.

"You can sit this one out if you want." She utters, so quietly even I'm surprised I heard her.

"No. It's fine." I reply at the same volume.

I quickly leave the room to collect a tray but stand still for just a moment to let the rage run through and then out of my body. I re-enter where everyone else is, plastering a believable smile on my face, pretending that absolutely everything is okay.

"No. Not you." Cassidy's voice pinches through the air. "Her." Her eyes meet mine in the mirror and I stop in my track with a frown. Violet gestures to where Cassidy is sat down in the pink chair and I give her a subtle nod.

I lay everything out that I need, while the other two make polite small talk with Lara and Paige. I catch the dark glances Lara gives Paige when she laughs a little too hard at something Violet says. I stand behind Cassidy, looking at the back of her head when she clears her throat out, adjusting her position in the chair.

"If you're here to continue to torment me then-." I start to whisper.

"I'm not." She cuts me off, sharply staring at my reflection.

"Then why would you show up here, knowing this is where I work?" I inquire, intrigued at what excuse she's going to make.

"You're good at your job. I liked the results last time so I want the same again." She shrugs.

"Oh." I'm caught off guard, surprised by her answer. "Okay."

"Do you remember what you did last time?" I nod to her. "Then I want it exactly the same." I quirk an eyebrow. "Please."