Christmas Vacation

Hey, Dolls,

   So, I've been in Iowa visiting my family for the last week. It's been pretty fun! I don't get to see my cousins very often so it's always great when I get to see them!

   Background information: I'm staying with my aunt Ru and my Uncle Tom. Their kids (my cousins obviously) are Kay and Matt. My other cousins Alex and Katie came, too.

   We arrived on Christmas Eve and spent most of it catching up with each other.

   On Christmas, we had an AMAZING brunch. After brunch, we opened presents. I got a pair of writing gloves! For those of you who don't know, writing gloves are (generally) fingerless gloves that people use when writing on paper to prevent smudging. Alex got a game called Moose Master and we immediately played it. I can't exactly describe the game but it's hilarious. After lunch, we spent the rest of the night playing games.

   Day Two, we got up and went to the mall. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but it looked just like one back home. I guess I just thought there would be snow? My cousin bought a very popular game in my family which is called Dutch Blitz. The description is kind of long so I'll put it at the end for those who wish to read it. When we got back, we played Dutch Blitz for a while and started another game, Tenzi. Again, I'll explain for those who wish to know.

   Third Day, we basically just hung out at the house, playing games. We started a game of canasta-the family game.

   Day Four, my cousins Kay, Al, Matt, Aunt Ru, my sister, and my mom went to a nearby Ross to buy another suitcase. I stayed home to continue writing (trying to finish the next chapter of Lily Lilac Lilac).

  Days Five and Six were pretty much the same as Day Three. We stayed had home and played games.

  On day Seven, we (all the cousins) went to Target for some supplies. We got a third game called Slide Into the DMs. Afterwards, we a different mall. This was a little bit of a strange experience. When we first got there, the closest doors were locked. JC Penny had unlocked doors so we went in through those. It was completely deserted, except for some workers. Since the store was connected to the mall, we figured we could get through that way. This is where things got interesting.

   The entrance was closed. We were about to leave but one of the workers literally opened the door for us and let us in while saying: "the mall is closed." We went inside and it, too, was deserted. The stores had their lights on but they were locked up. The only open store was Claire's and they had quite a few customers.

  We left the mall and went home. It was kind of late so we played some more games and then ate dinner. My cousin Matt left for a party for about an hour and brought back his girlfriend and one of his friends. They're both pretty chill, and his friend follows me now! It's pretty embarrassing, because my sister suggested the Book of Shame. Thank God he left before he finished reading it.

   Now, it's currently 4:09 here (unlike back home where it's already 5:00) and I'm wide awake. I hope you all have a happy new year and 2021 is a better year than 2020! Well thats all I gotta say so...... See ya on the flip side!

-Grey

Games:

Dutch Blitz: there are three piles
Blitz Pile
This pile of 10 cards is the most important pile of cards to each player since it is the key towards "Blitzing" the other players when all cards from this pile have been cleared.
Dutch Piles
Stacks of cards in each of the four colors - 1 through 10 an ascending sequence - placed in the center of the table and played upon by all players. Each player accumulates scoring points here.
Post Piles
Groups of cards placed to the left of both the Blitz and Wood piles in descending sequence For each player, the Post Piles serve as a "trading" or replacement area during the game. There are generally three post piles but in a two person game four or five post piles are often used to prevent the game from stalling

It's a fun game but if you have short arms, it's a bit harder.

Tenzi:
The object of the dice game is to get all 10 of your dice to show the same number. The game comes with 40 colored dice that makes it bright and fun to play.

Slide into the DMs:
It's kind of a mix of Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity. Basically, you draw a card with a 'DM' and you have to pick one of the cards that you think fits/the funniest. I say it's a mixture of the two because some are pretty simple, but there are a few...interesting ones.