{36}

____________________

Harry's POV:

Two days had passed since Louis found out about Frank. I tried to talk to him about it multiple times, but he avoided the conversations, constantly assuring me he was alright.

That first night he was quiet and numb, not talking to any of us unless we pried. He spent the night staring off into space until he went to bed.

But then after he got home from school the next day, he started acting differently. He was more talkative than usual, but not about anything real.

It was like he was overacting this role of someone who was carefree, using meaningless words and sarcastic comments as a shield.

He wasn't himself. I knew that much and it hurt to see him acting. I hated that he couldn't bring himself to express how he was truly feeling and kept his emotions packed away.

I couldn't help but wonder if I should have told him everything earlier. I knew this affected how he felt he could trust me because I was keeping something from him.

I wanted to avoid exactly what ended up happening after Lindsay dropped the news on him with no preparation. I wanted to slowly work my way up to telling him and be able to hand him the physical papers that made it clear his father could not go anywhere near him again.

But I should have known by then that Louis had a way of taking matters into his own hands. When he wants to know something, he won't stop until he figures it out.

I was at work and he was at school, despite my protests. I wanted him to stay home after everything that happened, but he was adamant that he just wanted to go.

I picked up my phone, clicking on Louis' number and dialing him for the second time that day.

After I wasn't there for Lindsay showing up, I went out and bought him a phone the next day; meaning this was the first time he had it with him at school. He always said he didn't need one, but I wanted him to have one.

"Is something wrong?" Louis asked immediately when he picked up. I heard the noisy atmosphere of the school in the background.

"What? No, you need to work on your greetings. I'm checking in on you." I placed my phone between my ear and my shoulder as I shuffled through my paper work.

"If you're going to keep checking in on me in between every class, you can have this phone back and return it, Harry." He huffed.

"I'm not going to do this between every class. I was only making sure everything's still good?" I tried to keep my worried tone out of my voice, but I couldn't help it.

I knew he was holding back his feelings, ever since he panicked the night Lindsay came.

He hasn't even frowned when I mentioned everything. He just freezes up and makes jokes, laughing it off and changing the subject.