twenty eight: everything

Start from the beginning

Both Jungkook and I turned our heads to the side to look at Byung approaching us with a smile.  I slightly enlarged my eyes, glancing at Jungkook as Ha-yoon stepped forward with a drink in her hand. It was rare for him to look so taken off guard.

I quickly released a breath, letting my frustration fade temporarily. I bit my lip lightly before taking a quick stride closer to the vice president and connecting our hands. He glanced down at our hands and then at my face as I smiled at the couple in front of us.

"Merry Christmas!" I chimed.

Ha-yoon, who looked as stunning as ever in a gorgeous emerald green gown, glanced down at our joined hands and then back our faces. "Merry Christmas." she said rather plainly, failing to match my enthusiasm.

Why are they here..?

"I had an invite from before so here we are," she said, almost like she had read my mind.

I noticed how quiet Jungkook had gotten and squeezed his hand to bring him back to life. His breath hitched almost imperceptibly before he spoke.

"Oh, is that so?" he finally said and she nodded in response.

"You guys left the cabin really suddenly! Is everything okay?" Byung asked, as oblivious as ever.

All three of us that knew what had gone down on that horrible day shifted our gazes awkwardly.

"Aira wasn't feeling well so we had to go to the hospital." Jungkook explained.

"Is that so? Are you feeling better?" Byung asked me sweetly concerned.

"Much better thanks to Jungkook here," I nodded, leaning my head on Jungkook's shoulder comfortably.

Jungkook was stiff.

"Byung, let's go get something to eat." Ha-yoon looked away, biting her lower lip.

"Sure. We'll see you two later," Byung smiled at us before getting dragged away by his wife.

When they finally disappeared into the crowd, I released a breath of relief and immediately tried to disconnect our hands. My attempt failed as he held onto my hand tightly. I whipped my head at him, confused and frustrated at the same time.

"What? Let go of me," I hissed, glaring up at him.

He looked at me with unreadable deep eyes which made my breath halt as my glare softened.

"Why'd you help me just now?" he asked.

I averted my eyes, heart fluttering thanks to the intensity of his calm gaze.

"J-just let go already.."

"Weren't you just saying that I make your life hard and that I lie and put up an act constantly?" he pulled me a little closer to him. "If you really think that, then why'd you help me?"

I gulped, unsure of the reason myself.

Why did I help? What the hell is wrong with me?

"Wha-- I- I don't know! Let go..." I squeaked, eyes looking around just in case anybody was staring.

"You don't really hate me now do you?" his words were like an arrow that shot right into my chest. Much like his gaze that kept burning into mine.

After a beat of silence that felt like an hour, I mustered out however much I could in the moment. "What kind of stupid question is that..?! Just because I helped you doesn't mean I'm suddenly your biggest fan." I tried snapping his hand away but he wouldn't budge.