9: Work

Same Day - 6PM
Jousy Rezar Youngling - 17
Maryland, Baltimore

"You got a size six in these?" A girl around my age who was holding a baby to her chest asked. She showed me a pink Jordan 9 that she got off one of the shoe shelf's on the wall.

"I think we do." I took the baby shoe out her hand and checked the size, four. I handed it back to her and went to the back.

I scanned through the baby nines we had, which weren't many because no one buys them. I found the size and color she asked for, I pulled it out the stack.

I went back out and handed her the box. I watched as she took them out and looked at them.

"You want to try them on?" I asked referring to the baby and she looked up at me nodding. I took the box out her and and she sat down on the table seat, putting the baby on her lap.

"She's yourns?" I took the paper out the shoe and handed it to her.  "Yeah." She twisted the shoe on her foot.

"Mhm, I got a son, I want a daughter." I squeezed the toe part of the shoe, pushing air meaning the shoe was too big.

"Might want to size down on these." I told her and she smiled at me, "okay."

I grabbed the box and reached out for the baby shoe which she took off. I grabbed it and walked to the back. I hurried and got the shoe.

When I brought the size five out, we made small talk as she put that on. "So how old is your son?" She asked me.

"Five months, your daughter?"

"Six, I threw her a half year celebration and everything." She pinched her cheeks and I smiled a little.

"Man, I need me a daughter." I sighed, and she laughed.

"These fit." I said after pressing the shoe tip.

"Good." She started to slip the shoe off and put the other one back on. I neatly put the shoe back in the box and walked to the counter.

She followed up after so I could check her out, "In my opinion nines are the ugliest Jordans." I chuckled and she slightly mugged me.

"Boy, my daughter love 'em." She reminded me of me.

"Bruh, I'm always saying "my son want this, he want that," so that's so me." I compared and she laughed.

"Let me hook you up with a discount." I less so suggested more so offered.

"That's nice, but it's okay." She shook her head no, but I put in my worker code anyways.

"Ten, fifty-seven." I said and she pulled out a 100 dollar bill, a fifty, and a few singles.

"Girl...." I tilted my head, "10 dollars and fifty seven cents." I said, no slack cut because why would she do that, like it ain't a baby shoe.

"Wow so you put in the discount anyways." She rolled her eyes, handing me the fifty.

"Will, I got a baby, just be tryna help a fellow parent out." I shrugged, bagging the shoe. She smiled big as I handed her the bag.

"You gone hook me up with some shoes next time?" She asked and I nodded.

"Here my number than." She put the bag on the counter and pulled out her phone. I pulled out mine and went to contacts. As she said her number I put it in my phone.

First thing I did was send a message, Rez. She sent one back, Sophie.

6 hours later.

"Girl me and my baby good." I said to her as Dex laid sleep on my chest.

"We should set up a play date for Dex and Iz." She said and I nodded agreeing. Dex do need someone his age to chill with.

"Ya available tomorrow?" I asked and she tapped her chin.

"I think so."