Chapter 42

"You sure this is the place?" Rhodney asked a little hesitantly.

"Positive." Bruce answered confidently, making Rhodes look at him with a raised eyebrow.

They were in the middle of a huge forest. Miles and miles away from Malibu on a location that none of them even knew existed before. The huge trees seemed to suck them in and make them feel even tinier every second. Even Natasha had a nervous expression on her face, as the shadows of the trees weren't the only things that kept them hidden in the dark. They were also covered by a much darker shadow from the huge building in front of them.

It looked like an old factory where it stood in all its glory. The walls, which were made of cement, had already lost their outer layer and made the whole building look like a ghost house. The windows were cracked here and the metal pieces of the building were covered in rust.

"Cozy," Bucky commented sarcastically.

"This place is huge." Clint said while taking a few steps towards the building. "If Tony's in there it'll take ages to find him without the roof collapsing."

"It won't collapse. Trust me." Bruce said before patting him on the shoulder comforting. He was trying to keep an eye on the full-grown man who was walking around in circles behind them, almost like he was looking for something.

"Dropped something?" Sam asked Howard, smiling a little at the older man's behavior.

Howard didn't look at him. He was way too occupied with holding a small phone-looking gadget in the air and cursing slightly under his breath every few seconds.

"What is he doing?" Sam asked confused and turned to Steve. The blond looked at Howard quickly before shrugging his shoulders cluelessly.

"Maybe he's trying to find some peace of mind." Bucky whispered dryly.

"Or the closest pizza hut." Sam answered just as dryly, making Steve roll his eyes at them.

Suddenly the gadget in Howard's hand let out a small "beep" and the engineer lowered his hand so he could take a look at the screen. His emotionless face softening a little before nodding to himself. Without a single word, he pulled out his phone and wrote something down before calling a number.

Steve looked from his friends to the man. "What are you doing."

"Calling backup."

"Already? But we said-"

"No kid, you said. And I think your plan was rather cute, but you should let the adults take over from now on." Howard said with an ice-cold voice, not meeting the teen's eyes as he waited for the signal to reach the person he tried to contact.

"Seriously?" Rhodney said with an annoyed voice. "You're just expecting us to stand here and wait for backup while Tony's in there?"

"Trust me, I also want to go inside. But you have to think smart about this." Howard responded with a sigh. "I know these people, they aren't just a mini gang of amateurs. They have a lot of people on their side so walking in there is like walking right off a cliff."

"And you're sure we have time for that?" Bruce asked.

Howard didn't answer because the person on his phone finally picked up, making Steve sigh before turning to the building again.

"So, what now?" Pietro asked, his heavy accent slipping out.

"There are guards everywhere, there's no way we can sneak past to the front door." Wanda stated with a worried voice.

Bruce, who for some reason had been very quiet, suddenly smiled to himself. He had been starting at the gadget in Howard's hand, trying to figure out what it could be. But he finally realized the answer to his question.