Nauseous

Chapter 11: Nauseous

Merlins POV

The tension between Arthur and me was thick. When we arrived at the entrance of the dining hall there was a table big enough to feed 20 people. My whole team had yet to arrive along with my maiden. As I walked in, I noticed Aurthur didn't enter with me. With a shake of my head, I didn't want to think about him anymore.

My mouth parted open, impressed at the sheer size of the dining hall. On one side of the room, the wall had glass windows that could give a perfect view of the far mountains. It wasn't too bright though since it was partly cloudy. Decore hung on the walls such as swords and candles in the beige walls. The air was warm due to a dancing fire behind the king. My eyes roamed over the painting that hung above the fireplace. It was of the king, his queen, and a young Snow White.

Jack's voice caught my attention. He was seated on the king's left chatting feverishly. Walking over I was listening to Jack's conversation, they were discussing the French monarchy. I noticed that on the other side of the king there was no one seated. I know Arthur always sat next to Jack. Not wanting to be near Arthur, I went to sit on the other side of the table next to the king. Nearing, I pulled back the seat, its legs scraped on the floor. King White then noticed me and smiled up.

"My boy! Good to see you! Oh-but could you please leave this seat alone? Snow White always sits there". The man had the same smile as Snow White making my own mouth curve upward. They looked so much alike that I almost wanted to squeeze the man's cheeks.

"Good Morning good king". I bowed at the waist respectfully making the King smile even more. I scooted the other seat back and sat. When I looked back up the king had this strange gleam in his eye.

"I wasn't able to thank you properly last night because I didn't see you. Nor did I see my daughter. Did you both enjoy the ball?, I'm assuming she was with you" He had brought a cup to his lips and took a sip still looking at me.

Ah. So he knew we weren't at the ball. Being honest would be best, I knew when I was being tested.

"Your ball was splendorous. A celebration that will be most memorable, I thank you for it. I had to leave though since I was flooded with fans. Because of it, I'm sad to say I couldn't spend enough time with your daughter."

"He was hiding in a nearby tavern this poor soul," Arthurs voice startled me and I scowled that he said my lie outlaid to the king. He made it sound like I was a drunk. 

Two of the servants came behind and showed two different pitchers filled with juice silently asking my preference. I pointed to the red one wishing it was Arthurs blood.

The king gave a displeased look, "Was Snow White at the ball?"

"I can't say for sure. " I held back a frown realizing Snow wasn't assigned a chaperone. I wanted to lie and say we were out in the public eye but I didn't know what Snow White would say once she showed up.

The king stroked his beard as I tried my juice, "It's very strange for Snow White to miss a ball. Very strange indeed".

I swallowed the lump in my throat, the sweet juice now going sour. More servers came through the kitchen doors that were behind me. I could smell the foods as they were placed in front of me even though they were covered by polished silver lids. The servants started to list the various foods to us but I didn't pay attention.

I was getting too nauseous.

It was nearing breakfast time and I was distraught from my princess's absence. I imagined that the medicine Snow took had made her terribly drowsy. It was possible she had gone back to sleep or maybe... My foot started to tap ferociously under the table. Maybe she didn't want to see me?

I kept staring at the doors hoping she'd walk in, needing to know she still wanted to see me. Snow White was the only person that could give me permission to court her and ask her father. If the king allowed it, then Arthur would have to let me stay, since, who could say no to a king?

But would Arthur tell Snow White and the King of me just being a servitude wizard?

I didn't want to tell King White just yet. I wanted him to know how much I cared for his daughter and how well I could treat her, how happy I could make her, and protect her night and day. Yet, I was still a stranger to the king. The corners of my eyes crinkled remembering that I had locked him up when he was a big wooden rabbit. The king surly know that I have been protecting the princess this whole time.

I wanted to be Snow White's prince charming even though I couldn't offer her gems or a castle. The only thing I could offer her was my small patch of farmland in Arthur's Kingdom that is fruitful. I could sell it and use the money for...for what? A new life with her? Snow White was a princess and heir to The White Kingdom. What exactly could I offer a wealthy princess? In the back of my mind, a powerful word was whispered.

Love. I could offer her all my love and hope it was enough for the King and Snow White. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a female server retrieve Snow Whites' plate to take back into the kitchen. Without another thought, I turned to see the front doors swing open. To my disappointment, it was only the three inventors strolling in. The three looked excited as they kept chatting about some invention in the palace.  Picking up a small fruit tart to place on my plate but was interrupted by a questioning father, "So tell me, young wizard. What of the kiss between you and my daughter?"

The tarts berries tumbled all over my breakfast mixing in with the meats and gray. I cleaned my hands with a crisp red napkin , "In regards to the kiss, I would like to talk to you in private over the matter."

As King White looked at me with a raised brow and said, "Something to be discussed later then,"my stomach really did start to feel nauseous.

Many girls dream of finding their prince charming

Many girls dream of finding their prince charming. For their prince to bring gifts and give her a luxurious life... While I on the other hand just want a prince that feeds and loves me.

-Love,

L.E. Vega