(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟗) euphoria

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

KENNEDY STOOD AT THE EDGE OF THE ASTRONOMY TOWER LOOKING DOWN. The morning sun shone brightly on the side of the stone building and glinted off the windows where many of the curtains were still closed. Athena found her there, just standing and she wondered how many times she could take the sickening gut feeling that her friend didn't want to be here anymore.

"How'd you know I was up here?" Kennedy asked curiously as she turned around. Her boots were slightly off the edge and her toes peeked over the side, daring her to jump.

"I went out to look by the lake and I saw someone standing up here" Athena told her "I know you're not going to jump so will you get away from there?"

"You didn't think I would hit anyone with that bat but I tried" Kennedy pointed out, "you don't know everything Athena"

"Stop this" Athena muttered as she grabbed her friends arm and dragged her away from the edge, "what's wrong with you?"

"Take a guess" Kennedy laughed coldly,

"He's asked you to do a job for you hasn't he?" Athena asked, "oh... do you have to kill Sirius, is that why you—"

"No" Kennedy scowled, "I tried to hit Sirius because I hate him, he thinks he's so much better than me and he isn't, Voldemort hasn't given me a job... so what's wrong with me? I've failed Rena, my life has gone down the drain and all that's in my future is death"

"That's not true" Athena continued, "look why did you get so angry at Sirius, you never normally lash out like that"

"I'm angry all the time" Kennedy shrugged "it's all I feel...nothing else"

"Oh" Athena murmured, "I'm sorry... they're all scared of you but I know you"

"If you knew me you'd be scared of me too" Kennedy laughed, "if Remus hadn't done that... I was going to hit him Rena"

"I know" the girl sighed, "but you've never done anything like that before, I don't believe that's who you really are... I've known you for too long"

"This years different" shrugged Kennedy, "I told you, you'd be safer if you stay away from me"

"And I told you that nothings changed, that mark on your arm doesn't define who you really are, you want to turn away and pretend it's never happened but you slip into shadows and confirm everyone's worst perceptions... I know you hate Sirius but after that he's not going to insult you again, he's not that stupid"

"It's not about Sirius" Kennedy sighed, "everything makes me angry he just pushed the line... what if I lash out at you... or one of the others"

"Stop carrying the bat around" suggested the Ravenclaw, "that way you won't be able to do any severe damage"

"That won't save everything" Kennedy sighed, "I can't just waltz back into your friend group like nothing happened"

"Our friend group" Athena reiterated,