(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐) decided fate

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA HAD MANY REASONS WHY SHE HAD LIED TO REMUS. However over the next few days she began to worry whether this had been the best plan. She'd been protecting him. Athena felt worse that she could ever imagine, full of grief for something she couldn't prevent and under no circumstance did she want Remus to feel the same.

She was so jealous over the idea of hope, craving it so badly it would physically hurt her. She loved Remus more than she ever thought to be possible and seeing the shimmer of hope in his eyes created a new feeling she couldn't place but it was the only thing getting her out of bed in the morning.

It was hard to function properly. Hard to stand in the shower without breaking down, hard to do trivial tasks such as making her bed or even getting up in the first place. What was the point anyway? She hated this revolving circle of pain however it had no end. This was forever now she supposed.

Worse was, she had to pretend that she still had the hope that Remus shared. He was keeping himself going because of her lies and if she slipped up he'd be dragged to the same bottomless pit where she was residing.

So she had to smile, she had to get up and she had to make the bed. Athena had to act as though the words she'd spoken had been true. She had to act as though they were going to save Lily and James which was terrible because sometimes it would make her forget that there really was no way out of this.

If Remus knew the truth she'd have someone to share her grief with, to share her broken heart with however it wasn't worth shattering Remus to achieve. Athena had done things on her own before. This was just another one of those things.

The full moon came three days after the news had been poured out into the open. Athena was yet again glad for the lies as Remus came home less weary and with minimal injuries. She knew from experience that his mood often impacted on the pain and severity of the transformation and therefore if he'd been in the same mindset as Athena it would have been a whole lot worse.

Remus could sleep at night. Athena would watch his chest rise and fall and wonder whether his dreams were anything as vivid as hers. However Athena was almost forcing herself to stay awake so she didn't have to see the nightmares that flooded her mind.

Sometimes she'd feel herself drifting and simply get up. She couldn't see the image of the green light, of her friends lying there. Her screams were internal and silent but they were still there. Plaguing her like a disease.

Between the two who knew the truth (and Remus who knew half the truth) it had been decided that Athena's vision should be kept a secret. It was simply for the best. Athena was glad of this not only because it allowed her to protect her friends but also because it meant that she could preserve her protection over Remus.

The next order meeting took place at Vance's house. The stern woman lived in a London Town house that had extension charms placed over it allowing everyone to fit around the table easily.