(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) the final vision

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

THIS WAS HOW THE WAR WAS GOING TO END. Athena's knees hit the ground as she sobbed uncontrollably, unable to rid her eyes of what she had just seen. Remus fell beside her and pulled her close to him with no understanding of why she was so upset.

"What's happened?" He asked but Athena could only cry out. This couldn't be right, surely the crystal ball was simply joking with her. This could not be how the war went. That would be unfair and cruel. Unjust and damaging. This couldn't be right, Athena would not accept it.

Lily and James were a symphony of everything right in the world. If they were gone then where would all those good things go? The world would surely stop spinning and Athena's heart would surely stop beating. There was no world without them.

Athena was always holding hope that after the war her life would begin, after the war things would get better. How could the world go on after the war if it ended with two of the best fucking people to ever step foot on the earth? Athena didn't have a life without them, there would be no life after the war if their death marked the end of it.

"Rena you have to tell me what's wrong" Remus whispered gently next to her. She couldn't say it aloud, she simply couldn't. Athena was a very firm believer that saying things out loud would make them true and this could never be true. This was a lie, a blip of fate that very never actually going to come to pass. This wasn't fate, this was trauma and grief. What sick universe could ever write this out?

The tears were so heavy in her eyes that she could not see. The thoughts were so crowded in her mind that she could not think and her heart was beating so fast in her chest that she thought she might die. Crumbling rocks and burning fires could not coincide with how she felt now. Like an avalanche of grief and anger she could only let out another scream with the hurt burning her throat.

"Rena please" he was crying too now with two hands aside her face. Looking at her with a lost expression as his mind thought for something to do. As he tried to figure out a way that he could help her. There was no rule book for this, no scripture telling him how to reach into her mind and untie the knots.

However Remus could not just sit back and watch her break. Her shattered heart and twisted expression was ruining him too. His heart ached with the same pain that she felt even if he didn't realise it. He felt as though he was drifting away on some lifeboat while she stood on the sinking ship. He couldn't reach her, why was he failing at this?

Please let me help you

Athena heard his voice in her mind and she wanted to yell out. She wanted to scream the fury, the truth. But then it would be the truth.

"The war" she gulped back tears, steadying her breathing was evidently not going to happen and now she was left with burning pain in the back of her throat that stopped her from saying much at all.