Chapter 25

"So when can you start and how often do you think we'll need maintenance?" Emily asked, turning her body toward him.

"I'd say twice a week. How's ... Wednesday and Saturday around noon?"

Perfect. The two days following their mandated "date nights" at the lesbian-friendly bar and the independent cinema.

"And how much do you charge?" Emily wanted to know.

"Thirty dollars for maintenance, fifty if you want me to do any decorative planting. Trust me, it's the lowest rate in town by far - and I'm right next door, so if you ever have a problem, I'll take care of it for free."

"Sounds great!" Emily mustered up some enthusiasm in her voice. "We'll see you on Saturday, then."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll see me around town before that," he responded. "But I'll be here and ready to work on Saturday. Since this place was cleaned up before you moved in, I don't think you'll need me in the next two days, but if you do, here's my phone number." He reached inside his pocket and pulled out a miniature notebook, quickly scrawling down his name and number along with a message. "And that's my e-mail."

He folded the paper and handed it to Emily, who put it in her pocket. "Let me see you out," she said smoothly, showing him to the door and shaking his hand. "It was very nice meeting you."

"Likewise," he replied, ducking his head slightly as he headed back toward the house next door.

"I'm going to take a look at the garden and think about any additional plants we might want for decoration," Emily told JJ after closing the door.

She surveyed the property and pulled out Spencer's note. It contained a new number - probably a throwaway cell phone like the one's they'd been issued - and committed it to memory. Then her eyes scrolled down and a chill went through her as she saw what he'd written when he claimed to be giving them his e-mail address.

It read: Be careful. We think she's already watching you.

###################################
I'm sorry this was such a sort chapter I will update agains hopefully in the next couple days.