29 | Descent

"Hey, Ana."

"Oh, no. What happened? Please tell me Giselle didn't get in the markers."

"No." They laughed.

"Oh, good. You had me worried there for a sec. What's up?"

"We wanted to talk to you about something."

"Hey, hey." Toni yelled, coming in the front door.

"Hey, Dad."

"You guys started without me? Seriously?"

"You were taking too long."

"Alright, alright." He took his jacket off, hanging it up and sitting next to them.

"Uh, okay. What is it?"

"We want to call you Mom."

"Woah, wait. No!" They slightly jumped at my sudden outburst.

"Okay. Sorry we asked."

"No. No. Don't be sorry, it's just.. I don't want to replace your mom."

"You already have. You replaced her the day you threw them a combined birthday party when she forgot both of their birthdays." Toni said.

"She gave birth to you guys, I could never replace something like that."

"We don't care about that. You've been there basically since the beginning." Diego replied.

"Yeah. You were there when I needed to talk about Corey, when Diego needed help with his science work-"

"Hold on. Who the hell is Corey?" Toni stopped her. She ignored him.

"The point is, Dad.. if you'd like, we would love for you to be our mom."

"Okay, if you're absolutely sure then I'm fine with it."

-

"Hey." I greeted the latino as he came in the house.

He was back from the doctor to check on his shoulder that had been injured three months ago. He huffed, grabbing a water from the fridge.

"A load of crap. There's no structural damage or whatever he said but it still hurts like crap. He won't renew my prescription, and it's the only thing that helps with the pain."

"You just got a refill not that long ago, why do you need another? This will be your fourth one, and that's a lot of Oxy." I asked. He scoffed, shaking his head.

"You sound just like him. Forget it, I'm fine."

"Toni-"

My phone rang, Eva's picture popping up. I answered the call, sighing as she asked me to pick her up and take her back to the library.

"Can you watch Giselle for a sec? I need to run out."

"Of course I can watch her, she's my daughter.."

I eyed him, wondering why he was suddenly so cranky before leaving to pick her up. As we came back in, she searched the house, stopping as we saw Antonio holding his bloody hand in the bathroom. His back was towards the broken and bloody mirror.

"What happened?" She asked as we looked at the mirror then him.

"Nothing, I-"

"Your hand is bleeding."

"I'm okay, sweetie. I was just- I was fooling around, shadow-boxing and I hit the stupid mirror."

"You're sure?" She questioned.