8 | Different Mistakes

"Knock, knock

"Knock, knock." I said as I knocked on the wall.

"Oh, Ana."

"Look what I brought." I held up a blue and white knitted cap.

"Oh, no. I don't need it. Your father keeps bringing me so many hats, I can barely wear the one I have on my head."

"Speaking of Dad, there's something I need to talk to you about." A voice interrupted me.

"Hey, honey. How you feeling? Look what I brought you." My dad smiled, holding flowers.

"Ashton, how many times do i have to tell you, I can't take care of those flowers while I'm in here."

"I still love to bring them to you so you can smell them."

"Thank you, Ashton. Ana, what did you want to talk to me about?" I looked to Ashton, shaking my head.

"It was nothing. Just wanted to see how treatments were going." She looked down.

"Not good. They want to increase the chemo, I don't think it's a good idea. I just..I'm done with the suffering."

"Jamie, don't speak like that."

"No. No, I am. The radiation, the chemo, the constant tests..it's too much. I'm quitting chemo today." I grabbed her hand.

"Are you sure? I fully support whatever decision you make."

"Anastasia, you are not going to give up on your mother!"

"It's her life. She makes the decisions for herself. If she wants to quit chemo, there is nothing we can do but support her."

"That is not true! Fight her! Tell her she needs to live."

"There is no more living, Ashton. I've had my time. Right now, I'm living on borrowed time."

"At least you're living!" The monitors started to beep loudly.

"Dad.."

"No! She is going to fight this. She is going to keep living and we are going to die together!" I watched as my mom sobbed.

"Dad.." I called again, watching the monitor.

"That is what we promised on our wedding day! I am not giving up on you."

"I'm not asking you to."

"That is exactly what you are asking of me, Jamie. I know I said I'd do anything for you but that, that's just something I can't do." I wiped my tears, watching them fall apart.

"Mrs. Moore, are you okay?" A nurse asked, coming in the room.

"Um, I think I need some rest. Could you escort them out please.."

"Of course. This way." She gestured towards the door.

"Jamie.."

"I'm tired, Ashton!"