28 | Where Are You?

"Hey."

"Hey, Ana. Where's my dad?"

"He had to work." Diego sighed, looking down.

"But that's why I'm here. You're gonna win this, if you don't, we're gonna kick the other guy's butt."

"Ana, I don't think dad would want you telling him that." Eva said.

"When have I ever cared about what your dad thought?"

"She's right." Diego agreed.

"You ready to race?" I asked, ruffling his hair.

"Stop, I need to look good."

"Oh." I put a hand on my chest, laughing.

"Diego's got a girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend, we're just friends."

"They kissed yesterday." Eva snitched.

"I'm gonna cut all your hair off when you go to sleep."

"Not if I don't put ants in your bed."

"Work on your comebacks." I whispered to her.

They called the teams to get into position. I filmed the entire race at Toni's request. He was upset that he got stuck and had to break a promise, missing the race.

After the race, I took them to get food then ice cream. We went home; I cooked dinner while they relaxed.

Toni came through the door, putting his stuff away and getting comfortable. Diego put his bowl in the sink, going to his room.

"I can't keep doing this."

"Diego's race you missed, he won." Eva told him.

"Thanks. Way to make me feel better."

-

"Can we get these? We're out. Eva ate the last one."

"That was you, stupid."

"Shut up!"

"Both of you close your mouths." They got quiet, nodding.

He threw the cookies in the basket; we went to check out then going putting the bags in the car.

"Your pants are wet." Diego said.

I looked at my grey leggings, wet with a big puddle. The excess liquid was on the ground. Closing the trunk, I handed the keys to Eva, getting in the passenger seat.

"Don't kill us."

She smiled. After yells, screams and swerves, we finally made it to the hospital.

"Hi, Maggie."

"Hi, beautiful. What's going on?" She asked then looked at my leggings nodding.

"Will! Take her upstairs."

"Park my car before the kids crash it."

She ran out of the door as Will ran to my side.

"You always know how you brighten my day, woman."

"It's my specialty, redhead."

I got settled in, already annoyed with the doctors bothering me. I looked at the clock; it had been six hours.

"Where are the kids?"

"Maggie's got 'em." He assured me.

He had been by my side the whole time. Antonio hadn't answered any of my calls or texts. If he wasn't dead, he better hope he is when I see him.

"Where's that baby daddy of yours?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

I squeezed his hand as another contraction hit. After a while, it was time to give birth to my baby. Tears burned my eyes, my mind raced with thoughts on where Toni could be.

"Alright, you got this." Will said, adjusting my grip in my hand.

After a long process, my body relaxed; my eyes closed. Hours later, my eyes fluttered open, quickly shutting due to the bright light above. I turned to the side to see Hank, the kids and the baby.

Hank rocked her in his arms, whispering baby talk. The kids sat on their phones, ignoring the world.

"Where's your dad?"

"He's not answering." Eva said.

I looked at Hank, knowing he knew where my child's father was. He gave them money to get something from the cafeteria.

Once the room was clear, he sat down, adjusting my daughter then looking at me.

"Antonio is deep undercover. It was last minute, if I'd known you were gonna go into labor, I wouldn't have sent him."

"Bullshit."

"Believe me. I know it hurts not having him here.. or your mom. Ashton is MIA and you're pushing me away."

"Stop with the dramatics." He laughed.

"I'll let him know that baby..."

"Giselle."

"Giselle.. I'll send him a picture of baby Giselle. Get your rest kid, you're gonna need it."

-

"So tell me what's going on." The latino spoke, sitting at the end of our bed.

He was finally home. I definitely missed him but I was also mad at him.

"You weren't there when I woke up. I laid in that hospital bed, receiving visits from everyone but you. Giselle has only seen her father once in two weeks."

"You know I was undercover. As much as I wanted to hold you and my little girl in my arms, I couldn't risk it."

I scoffed, feeling the tears burn my eyes. Blinking them away, I nodded, folding the messy baby blankets.

"No, you're right. You were just doing your job and I'm being selfish."

"Don't-"

"You don't have to explain any further. I have stuff to do so.."

"Baby, please don't do this. You are shutting down."

"I'm not, I'm fine." I tucked my hair behind my ears, folding the next blanket.

"When's the last time you slept?"

"God, I don't know!" I shouted, slamming my hand on the dresser.

"I am exhausted.. I need you.. I needed you." I cried.

"I'm here now."

As the words left his lips, his phone went off. I scoffed, reading the urgent message from Hank.

"Go save lives, Detective Dawson.."