23 | Push The Pain Away

Today was another day, duty calls, forcing me to suppress my feelings and focus on the job

Today was another day, duty calls, forcing me to suppress my feelings and focus on the job. It had been a couple weeks since Nolan's funeral and Nadia's murder.

She'd been kidnapped and brutally murdered by some sociopath. The team felt the loss and grieved in their own way. It hit Erin the hardest; she blamed herself for bringing Nadia into this job.

I sat in my car, sulking in my feelings. My radio beeped, Hank's voice sounding.

"Multiple shots fired at Lakeshore Sports and Fitness! I need all units responding to the scene."

Getting myself together, I quickly drove to the scene. Squad cars were scattered, officers taking cover behind them. People ran out of the building, screaming. I found the team, meeting up with them.

"Responding officer says five victims so far. Last shot fired two minutes ago. Shooters could still be inside." Toni informed.

"How many?" Hank asked. 

"No idea. Witness says they're wearing balaclavas and tac gear. SWAT and deputy are en route. Should I initiate a Plan 4?"

"Yes. On my authority. And contain this crowd. None of these people can leave. Go! Go!" A siren sounded.

"What, now we got a fire alarm?"

"Clear up top." Adam cleared.

We checked the building, directing civilians towards the exit. Everyone cleared their areas, checking back in.

"Antonio, basement's clear. I hope your perimeter's in place." Jay said.

"Copy. Three got away. We have one in custody." 

Al and I approached one of the guards on the scene. He wiped the blood off his head, wincing at the pain.

"There's four shooters. I took a position on the guy behind. I discharged my weapon twice. He didn't fall. He swung his rifle on me. You ID the guy yet? Is he local?" The guard asked.

"We're still working on it."

He nodded, walking off. We joined Antonio and other members of the CFD and CPD.

"At 8:23 AM, four shooters entered the Lakeshore Sport and Fitness and started killing. We have four confirmed dead males and one female vic in surgery at Chicago Med." Toni spoke, informing the other departments.

"Now we have one shooter in custody. He remains unidentified. Three other shooters are at large." Al continued.

"The FBI is looking for a terrorist link. Intelligence will be coordinating the ground game. The Fusion Unit's tapping area cameras. Air One is scanning rooftops. Who here is CTA?" A woman raised her hand.

"All right, stop all trains out of State and Lake and I need all buses rerouted. CFD?"

"Yeah?"