22 | Officer Down

I parked on the street then walked to the coffee shop, looking at the long line

I parked on the street then walked to the coffee shop, looking at the long line. It was just out the door, about 4 people in front of Nolan. He was the last in line, impatiently tapping his foot.

"Hi!" I yelled, jumping on Nolan's back.

"Woah! What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

"I'm fine. What was so important that you had to get me up this early?"

"Guess what happened last night."

"You went to sleep?"

"That too but something bigger."

"You ate your favorite cereal, watched a new episode of that one show and then went to sleep?" I hit him on his chest.

"You are looking at the future Mrs. Antonio Dawson." I held my hand up, showing him the ring.

"Holy shit! Are you serious?"

"I wasn't expecting it, I thought I'd just go home and go to sleep but nope."

"Why would you expect it? It's supposed to be a surprise."

"I don't know but I'm so happy."

"And I'm happy for you too, Ana. Although, I need to talk to Antonio about giving me this best man position."

"Even if he doesn't, you're my best friend so you can marry us."

"Anything for-" A shot sounded, blood splattering on my face.

"Scott!" I yelled, seeing his body drop.

"Everybody get down!"

Screams filled the air as people ran for cover. I pulled Nolan behind a nearby car. The shooter fired more shots, hitting and breaking the glass.

"This is Detective Moore requesting immediate emergency assistance, my partner's been shot."

"Detective, what is your location?"

"3802 North Copling."

"Ana.."

"Scott, hey. You're gonna be fine, okay. Look at me." I pressed my jacket onto his chest.

His teeth became stained as the blood filled his mouth. Whispers could be heard by the few people that stood around, watching.

"Dispatch, where's that ambo?"

"ETA is about a minute out."

"He doesn't have a minute, tell them to get a move on it!" He weakly squeezed my hand.

"It's okay.."

"No. You're gonna be fine."

"Stop." He whispered. The ambo pulled up, the paramedics getting their equipment.