4 | Now is Always Temporary

"House belongs to a Dean Masters

"House belongs to a Dean Masters. His file was red-flagged to notify intelligence but he must have been before my time."

"Oh, yeah, him. That robbery at the art institute last year, we liked him as the fence."

"The neighbors heard a woman scream. We knocked, he yelled out that he had a gun and to leave him alone." An officer informed them.

"Masters, this is Sergeant Voight with the Chicago Police. Open up, make this easy on all of us." Voight banged on the door.

"He's gonna kill me!" The woman shouted.

"Take it." Jay shot the lock off. The woman screamed, struggling to get out of Dean's hold.

"Drop it!" Dean held a gun to the woman who was half naked.

"I told 'em I would kill her!"

"Drop it, Masters!"

"We're here to help."

"Let her go."

"All we're trying to do is have a good time. Isn't that right, huh?" He pushed her face into a plate of drugs.

"Drop your weapon! Hands in the air! Do it now!"

"Easy, easy. Everybody take a breath." Lindsay held her hand up.

"She set me up. She's trying to get me killed."

"Fine, you're right. We can handle that."

"I got info. I got info on a deal that's going down, and that's why she's setting me up."

"I don't know what he...what he's talking about. I swear to God."

"All right, we will help you. We will help you, but you've gotta let her go first. You don't need her. Come on, give her to me. Come on. Give her to me." He hesitated before pushing the girl into Lindsay's arms.

"I'm dead anyway."

"No!" Dean put the gun under his chin, pulling the trigger. His blood splattered all over the wall and TV as his body dropped.

Soon, the crime scene was filled with officers. I was stuck in a daze, not realizing that Antonio was standing in front of me.

"Hey. Ana..hey.." Antonio lightly shook me.

"Anastasia?"

"Uh, yeah? Sorry."

"Gabby and her partner went through this. Guy blew his brains out in front of them on a routine call. Gabby was fine but it hit Shay pretty hard. Don't be afraid to talk to somebody, anybody. Me..if it sneaks up on you."

"Thanks."

-

"Dean Masters was a hotshot artist in his 20s. Work dried up, picked up a drug habit. He's suspected of not only being a fence but also forging paintings."