18 | An Honest Woman

"Mom

"Mom."

"Hi, sweetheart."

"How are you?"

"I'm okay." She'd been home for a few weeks and it seemed like her cancer was getting worse.

"You don't look too well."

"I'm good."

"Where's Ashton?"

"He's about to head out."

"I'll see you later." I said, walking out of the room to avoid further conversation.

"Hey, sweetie, what are you doing here?"

"Just checking in. How's she doing?" He stopped what he was doing, turning to look at me.

"She's only getting worse. The chemo worked for about 2 weeks, then..well you know."

"What'd the doctor say?"

"She has about a month or so."

"Oh. Okay. Um.." I tightened a hold on my keys, taking a step back.

"I have to go to work, I'll see you there. Bye."

I quickly headed to the district, hoping I could find something to get my mind off what I just heard. The first thing I saw was enough of a distraction.

"Burgess, you know what, what do you want?"

"Roman and I wanted to know what we would be doing today."

"What is it that you do everyday, patrolman? Patrol. Here's the keys, now go."

Kim decided against saying anything else. She grabbed the keys, walking out with Roman behind her smirking. Al walked in with his sunglasses on and a cup of coffee. 

"Whoa. Look at you. Rough night?" Trudy asked as Al rubbed his head.

"I'm not in the mood." Al said.

"Your wife called."

"Well, good for her." Al shrugged, opening the gate.

"He's weirder than usual." I said before heading upstairs.

"Maybe he's sick." Nadia said.

"He's never sick, and he's never late. Jay." Erin said, gesturing for jay to follow her.

"Oh, you get that? Oh!" Jay laughed, typing multiple keys on Kevin's computer and knocking his stuff over.

"Damn it. Now she decides to call me." Al slammed his desk drawers shut.

"Hey." I said, leaning against his desk.

"I'm good." He waved me off.

"Hey, uh, Anastasia." Kevin called. I balled a piece of paper up, throwing it at his head.