2 | Wrong Side of the Bars

I held Laura's hands as Laura shook with fear

I held Laura's hands as Laura shook with fear. Diego, Laura and Tonio's son, was kidnapped by Pulpo's men.

"Laura!" Tonio shouted, running to her.

"Antonio! Oh, God. Our baby, he's got to be so scared."

"I will get him back."

"I know you will. You have to."

"What do we know?" He asked.

"There's no cameras in the alley. We're checking the streets on both sides for ATM video." Hank said.

"Neighbors?"

"One lady gave us a white van, but no license, no driver description, nothing. Detectives are rolling, squads are canvassing the area and knocking on doors, checking for cameras. Someone's on the pods right now."

"We have security cameras out front, but nothing in the alley."

"I know."

"Para Laura, para Laura!" A man shouted, waving a paper in the air.

"Let him in. Let him in!" Antonio grabbed it, looking over it.

'Pulpo free by midnight, or your son dies'

"Let's go. I'm driving." I snatched the keys out of his hand.

"I am driving. End of discussion."

Too angry to protest, he followed her to her car, getting in. Antonio quickly walked through the halls, Voight and I right behind him.

"Where's my son?"

"Uh..uh, I know he's not here. Beyond that.."

"I don't think you want me to ask you again."

"Ah, si, si, si, si. I heard about this type of thing back in Bogota. Yeah. Your son was kidnapped, yes? Yeah, I read that many times, many, many times. If the kidnappers were given what they wanted, then the wife or son was returned, not a single scratch on their faces. Maybe you should give 'em what they want, Antonio, whatever that may be. If you want to see Diego again, that is."

"Eat a dick."

Hank and I returned to the Intelligence unit. Everyone had a look of worry written all over their faces.

"They took Antonio's son. And they took my own, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else matters till we get Diego back. Nothing."

"Sarge, so this all started with Rev and Coop getting their heads chopped off. And both did essentially the same job for Pulpo, mid-level distribution, right? So we know Pulpo's cleaning house. What do you do when you get rid of old furniture? You got to bring in something new. This guy stood out; it's Ernesto Milpas. He was running 15 corners between 22nd and Kedzie when CPD pinched him in '09."