Chapter Three 11

I walked up to my podium as Monokuma started to explain the rules once again.

"Now then, let's begin with a simple explanation of the class trial!" Monokuma cheered, "During the class trial you will present your arguments for who you think the blackened is, and vote for whodunnit" He began to explain.

"If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will receive punishment... But if you pick the wrong person~" He sang, "I'll punish everyone besides the blackened and that person will earn the right to leave this island!"

"I don't mind starting the trial, but... I don't really have a grasp on how the case played out," Nagito started, "You know, since I was asleep the whole time."

"Hmph, even if you know everything that played out, you're just gonna use that to confuse the heck outta us," Kazuichi argued.

"But Nagito's not alone, I don't get it either," Akane said.

"M-Me too...!" I raised my hand.

"How come the murderer doesn't know how everything played out?" Kazuichi asked.

"It's because I'm not the murderer. God damn it!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, yeah, and I'm the Queen of England," I huffed at Kazuichi's remark.

"Anyway... we shouldn't proceed with the trial of those three can't participate in the arguments..." Chiaki spoke up, "Since Hajime's the first witness, why don't we let him explain the situation from start to finish?"

Hajime nodded at Chiaki's words and proceeded to explain the case, "Then... let's start with when we split into the Hospital Team and the Motel Team because of the Despair Disease..."

"The Hospital Team consisted of Nagito, Y/n, Akane, and Ibuki–who were infected–and Mikan, Fuyuhiko, and me."

"The other five in the motel room were myself, Gundham, Kazuchi, Chiaki, and Hiyoko..." Sonia added.

"Spending the night at the hospital was prohibited, so Hajime and I had to sleep at our cottages," Fuyuhiko continued.

"I woke up at my cottage at the day of the incident with Mikan coming by to tell me that Nagito's condition has stabilized," Hajime spoke, "We immediately rushed over to the hospital to confirm his recovery... And after we did that... I asked Mikan to rest on the on-call room while I waited at the hospital lobby."

"And then... I saw the incoming signal light on the transmission camera blinking before our scheduled time."

"When I pressed the button to turn on the monitor, what appeared on screen was... A video of someone wearing a hospital gown and a hemp bag on their head... climbing a step ladder."

"Amazing! What a heart-pounding story, Hajime! Care to tell me what you did next?" Nagito exclaimed.

"I-I tried to stop them of course..." Hajime replied, "I rushed out of the hospital and headed towards the music venue, where the video was being recorded."

"But I.... I was too late..." Hajime hung down his head in guilt, "I thought that I should tell the others right away, so I headed to the motel."

"Motel? Why the motel?" I tilted my head.

"Because it was close to the music venue... and unlike the hospital, there were able-bodied people there," I nodded my head in understanding, "At least.... that's what I thought... the only person that came with me was Chiaki."

"But I remember feeling relieved since not long after, we met up with Fuyuhiko and Mikan," Chiaki spoke softly.

"We were also looking for Y/n and Ibuki since they disappeared from our sight," Fuyuhiko added.