Chapter Three 12

The trial proceeded on as usual with me being cleared out of suspicion and the blame being turned towards Mikan.

"Mikan... You're the killer, aren't you?" Hajime pointed his finger accusingly at the timid nurse.

"Eeeeek!" Mikan belted, "W-Wha-What are you t-talking about....? The k-killer...? M-Me...?"

"Like I said... aren't you the killer that murdered Ibuki and Hiyoko?" Hajime asked.

"H-Huh?! I-I'm the killer...?! W-What is t-this?!"

"H-Hey... don'tcha think that's kinda impossible?" Akane came to Mikan's defense, "I mean... this is Mikan we're talking about."

"Y-Yeah! A-Akane's right...!" Mikan quaked, "A clumsy, slowpoke like me committing murder...? Th-That's impossible!"

"But... we're the only ones," Hajime retorted, "Thanks to that video, we're the only ones who have the advantage of an alibi."

"An alibi? Was that the killer's goal?" Sonia questioned.

"Now that you mention it, you guys brought that up earlier... Only Hajime and Mikan have an alibi," Nagito spoke.

"I-It's just a coincidence!" Mikan denied.

"But you're the only one who could've filmed that video in the hospital conference room," Hajime retaliated, "Is that also a coincidence?"

"Haaah?!"

"At that time, you said you were going to the on-call room... But you actually went to the conference room," Hajime elaborated, "that's when you put on a hospital gown that you prepared in advance, put the bag on your head, and began filming."

"By doing that, you made up a video that showed Ibuki trying to hang herself at the music venue..... and showed that to me!"

"Hah?! Wa.....ha-wa-wa...wa...wa..." The nurse tried to search for words to say.

"Furthermore, I saw that video at the hospital lobby.... If someone wants to go to the conference room from the outside then they have to pass through the lobby first."

"So it's impossible that someone who wasn't already in the hospital went to the conference room to film!" Fuyuhiko concluded.

"Not only that... the others in the hospital, Akane and I, were both delirious from the Despair disease." Nagito added.

"W-wait.. why only you and Akane? Y/n was infected too, right?"

"But we already concluded that Y/n was unconscious inside the storage room at the time Hajime first discovered Ibuki's body!"

"O-Oh right... S-sorry..."

"P-Please wait...!" Mikan exclaimed, "W-What are you saying?! I-I'm the k-killer...?!"

"T-That's impossible! There's no way I'd kill someone!"

"It's not literally impossible... Can't you give a better defense than that?" Nagito commented.

"Hey, are you sure this chick really is the killer?" Akane asked.

"W-Wrong...! It.... It's t-totally w-wrong...!" Mikan panicked.

"J-Just like Akane said, it is really hard to tie it all up together, I mean, Mikan.... is the killer....?" Everyone seemed to be unsure about Mikan being the culprit.

"How many times do I have to tell you?! It's impossible for someone like me to kill anyone...! Seriously...!" Mikan frantically said.

"W-What do you say, Hajime?" Kazuichi turned to loom at the brunette.