twenty eight

THE DEAL

THIRD PERSON

it was a pleasant day in canada. the weather was great with sun shining followed by wind.

even though the day was pleasant, who knew it was gonna brew up a storm?

mackenzie was the one who woke up first. as she was heading towards the bathroom, she heard someone's phone ringing with notifications.

i thought john puts his phone on mute before sleeping? she thought.

she proceeded to check who has been messaging him so much, it could be an emergency, and she couldn't seem to ignore it.

his phone was locked, so she checked it from his notifications.

there was someone named nathan who kept texting him.

she could read some texts.

"you haven't picked up my calls for four whole weeks!"

"where the hell are you john?!"

"you can't ignore me like this!"

"call me today or you'll be exposed..."

who the hell is this nathan? is he threatening john? mackenzie got worried.

he never told me about this guy. he could be some guy from work though. should i be concerned?

of course i'm concerned! but i can't confront john about this. he'll know that i checked his phone without permission.

she was panicking. she heard john move a little so she instantly kept his phone back to where it was and headed to the bathroom to brush her teeth and take a shower.

♡♡♡

john came downstairs to have breakfast. but unlike the last few days, today's atmosphere was tense and uncomfortable. he didn't know why.

"so, mackenzie, what are your plans for today?" he tried to start a conversation.

"just the usual. maybe i'll head out and explore toronto today." mackenzie said as she shrugged.

"oh! you should go to the royal ontario museum, it's an amazing experience, especially if you're going solo."

"okay, i'll see." she said with a small smile, trying not to seem too tense.

but john sensed the awkwardness.

"mackenzie, are you okay?"

"of course. why?" she nervously asked.

"you seem tense. something on your mind?" he asked.

"it's nothing. don't worry about it." she answered while looking down at her half eaten food.

"okay now i am really worried. tell me." he pressured.

"just stupid things on my mind. plus, missing my mom." she lied. well, technically, it was the truth. she did have that stupid nathan guy on her mind and she was missing her mother.

john eyed her. "if you say so."

♡♡♡

who could it be?

how will he expose john? what's there to expose?

so many questions were running through her mind, she couldn't seem to figure it out though.

she had to do something. what if john's life was in danger and he wasn't allowed to tell anyone?

so, she started making a plan. she just had to get john's phone unlocked, somehow.

i'll do it when he's asleep. she thought.

♡♡♡

john was back home. he was taking a shower while mackenzie was busy preparing dinner.

well, her mind was occupied by other things.

"i'm starving!" john jokingly whined.

"just two more minutes!" mackenzie answered.

as they started eating, john interrupted, "i think you forgot to add the salt, mackenzie." he laughed.

"oh, sorry." she said and got up to get some salt.

"don't worry about it, i'll get it."

"thanks."

he sat down again, "so, did you explore toronto today?"

"i just stayed home and ate chips." she answered.

"why? i thought you were gonna go. i wanted to tell you extra facts about the places." he mumbled.

"i just got lazy, john." she shrugged.

john noticed how uninterested she was this whole day. he wondered what happened to her, but he also knew that she wasn't going to tell him anything.

both of them headed to the bedroom and went to sleep.

except mackenzie of course.

a few hours after john was fully asleep, she slowly got up and carefully took john's phone from the side table.

she went inside the bathroom so that he couldn't see her even if he woke up.

she proceeded to unlock the phone. but she forgot about one thing.

the password.

ugh, what would his password be? she thought.

she tried to unlock it with the birth dates of his family members (don't ask how she knew them) but none of them seemed to work.

she even tried the date of their wedding but it didn't work either. she had almost given up, but then she tried one last date.

the date he officially got the canadian enterprise.

unlocked.

♡♡♡

OMG how is everyone? it's literally 7 am right now and i have my last exam in three hours, but i wanted to write for y'all so bad. this chapter had a new twist, just to make things a LiTtLe interesting. hope you enjoyed it!

credits to my bestfriend for helping me with this "plot twist." his instagram is @perpetuavoyage if you wanna check it out!

please look at my announcements for chapter updates. i try to reply to every comment about updates but it's really hard to explain the same thing multiple times.