one

THE DEAL

MACKENZIE ZIEGLER

i was raised in a family today's people would classify as "poor." sure, i didn't have everything i wanted, (a/n: billie eilish aye) but i was always grateful for what i had.

my dad left us when i was fifteen, and took all the money with him. since then, i've been working at the same café.

my mother is suffering from stage four cancer, which is hard to cure, and the treatment is extremely expensive.

it's hard to pay for the treatment and other debts when you're working in a small café with a low wage.

♡♡♡

"your order will be served in five minutes." i smiled at the old man who ordered food from the café.

i got inside the kitchen and gave the order to the chef.

once again, i walked outside and saw a table with leftovers.

i cleaned it and served the man his food.

♡♡♡

"mom, i'm home!" i yelled. when i heard no response, i called again, "mom?"

i decided to go inside her room. i was horrified to see her in a very tired state.

"mom! did you take your medicines?"

"no." she mumbled out. i ran towards the kitchen to get her some water and her medication.

i handed the medicines to her and she finally took them.

"ma, don't do this again. you have to take your medicines when i'm not home!" i scolded her.

"honey, these medicines are not working on me anymore." mom croaked out.

tears were forming in the corner of my eyes, having the thought of losing her was terrifying.

i'd do anything to pay for her treatment and the debts. i can't afford to lose her.

♡♡♡

ayo! first chapter is up! i'm so glad y'all reading this ayeee. keep supporting, ily guys sm y'all so sweet 🥺