New Divide: 68

“You're a little rusty,” Logan seemed to eventually sum up this moment. Margo looked at him oddly while standing up, rusty was perhaps one word to use she supposed. Catching her look Logan simply shrugged and looked to Charles as he started to answer, clearly unaware to their exchanging looks and motions.

“You don't understand, it's not a question of being rusty. I can flip the switches, I can turn the knobs, but my power comes from here, it comes from...” Charles explained still in a shaking sad tone of voice. He placed a hand to his head and then pointed to his heart. With a shake of his head he started to turn and retreat back down the run way. “And it's broken. I felt like one of my students, helpless. It was a mistake coming down here. It was a mistake freeing Erik. This whole thing has been one bloody mistake!” He said, while continuing on his way. Though his words may have been partially true, it didn't help the disheartened look to flit across his face. “I'm sorry, Logan, but they sent back the wrong man.” He continued while stopping at the door when he heard Logan's simply spoken response.

“You're right. I am.” He said rather frankly with a shrug and watched as Margo leant carefully against the controls and crossed her arms. She nodded at him to continue. If Charles would not listen to herself and Hank, by all means Logan could have a shot. Moving away from her, Logan slowly walked towards where Charles had stopped and turned slightly to look at him.

“Actually it was supposed to be you. But I was the only one who could physically make the trip.” Logan started to explain, seeing as how he had got Charles's attention he continued. “And uh...I don't know how long I’ve got here, but I do know that a long time...actually, a long time from now, I was your most helpless student, and you unlocked my mind.” Logan explained with a slight smirk over the memory of it all. “You showed me what I was, you showed me what I could be. I don't know how to do that for you. You're right, I don't. But I know someone who might.” He said surely while leaning his hands on the wheelchairs arms, Charles faltered backwards slightly from the action and looked to him with a frown. Yet despite his reluctant expression, he was listening, though confused, he was listening to Logan's words intently.

“Look into my mind.” Logan said as simply as anything.

“You saw what I did to Cerebro. You don't want me inside your head.” Charles said with a shake of his head.

“There's no damage you can do that hasn't already been done, trust me.” Logan smiled reassuringly. He highly doubted there was anything Charles could do to further the slight fractured state of his mind.

Charles still didn't seem to believe him, yet with a hesitant hand he reached up and placed two fingers against Logan's temple and commenced entering his mind. Images which flashed by involving human experimentation, a red haired woman – apparently called Jean – and death caused Charles to look at him with deep sadness.

“You, poor, poor, man.” Charles said distantly while looking up at Logan.

“Look past me.” Logan pressed.

“No, I don't want your suffering, I don't want your future!” He exclaimed irritated, saddened and uncertainly.

“Look past my future, look for your future.” Logan said while his gaze had not moved from looking at Charles. His expression relaxed slightly as he started to focus. “That's it,” Logan said quietly trying to reassure him, and it seemed to work.

Charles travelled further into Logan's mind, as images faded and blurred a strange sense of calm suddenly overcame him. Registering that he was laying down on something, he opened his eyes. A darkened ceiling was above him, but to the side a dim yellow light filtered through a dirty looking window.