New Divide: 63

The night sky continued to roll past the window. The chess game between Charles and Erik had finished quite a while ago, it didn't exactly please either to know that the game ended in an impasse. It caused both to look squarely down at the board, then look up at each other and sigh. They were too equal in this game it seemed, for once.

After deciding that the next move needed some deep thinking, Erik had withdrawn from his seat and taken to lounging on the sofa opposite to Margo's. She had watched the game, and quite quickly realized that it was a boring source of entertainment, as such she went back to sleep.

It was only Charles, and Hank who was still driving, that were awake. Logan had drifted off to sleep a while back, and Margo was on off. She only seemed to wake for a fraction of a second to either drink her water, or get comfortable.

Leaning his chin against his hand, Charles sighed and twirled the empty glass in his hand. He had been sitting shifting it in his grasp for quite a while. He was torn between refilling and calling it a night. It seemed though that his decision was made up for him. He went to reach for the bottle, only for the bottle to move away from him.

Slowly looking to the side, Charles glanced down at Margo. She waved a hand and the bottle moved further away. Wagging a finger as she pushed herself up she swung her legs over the side and moved over to stand by his side.

“No,” she said firmly, he looked up at her with an expression of both shock, humour, and disbelief. “No more, Charles.” She reached down and pulled the glass from his hand and placed it on the table. Kneeling down by his side she looked around before looking back up at him with that same firm determined expression. “Please, it doesn't work. You know it doesn't. If I see you drinking yourself further into an oblivion, I will stick to my previous empty threat. Only, it won't be so empty. I will get rid of every bit of alcohol which is near your general vicinity.”

“I would rather you didn't.”

“I rather I did. Let someone look out for you, Charles. For once, at least allow me to look out for you. I have tried, and failed because you've not made it easy. But this one time, let me succeed.” Margo said while placing her hands over his arm which rested against the armrest of the chair. Hearing quiet murmurings from the other two in the cabin she sent them a wry look. They were both asleep still.

Charles tilted his head to the side and looked at her curiously. “May I ask you something?”

“Of course.” Margo looked up at him with interested eyes.

“Why would you bother?” He questioned, Margo looked confused then. “Through it all, you have tried your best as you so rightly reminded me. And I, as you pointedly reminded me again, have not made it easy. So why do you continue to try?” He asked, Margo sighed afraid that perhaps her intervention of taking away the whiskey had happened too late. He didn't sound particularly drunk, nor did he look it. He actually looked quite alert, he looked down at her with an anticipated expression. He was awaiting her answer.

Margo frowned, shaking her head she stood. “How do I say this?” She looked uncomfortable then. Twiddling her fingers she leant down. Placing a hand on his shoulder, she smiled thinly, yet she still looked rather awkward.

Charles frowned suddenly. “I'm not going to like your answer am I?” Her shifty behaviour was sending wrong signals and not reassuring him in the slightest.

Margo's eyes widened and she shook her head, and then realized that could look like an answer to his question. “No! I mean, yes, perhaps...I don't know, how do you generally react to rushed and clumsy confessions?” She said rather quickly, Charles blinked his eyes slowly trying to register her words, he was going to respond only to have her beat him to it. “Why do people bother with those close to them when they're in trouble?” Margo questioned, yet again in a rather quick slightly embarrassed tone of voice. It was not exactly hard to miss her awkwardness growing, she shifted from foot to foot with her usually pale skin turning redder by the moment. “Love, Charles. That is the answer you're looking for.” She said while rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly, still. “That is why I continue to try. Through love and loyalty, I will never stop trying to help.” She said in a calmer tone with a sigh as she glanced down at him.