New Divide: 08

The roof. It was as simple as that. She hadn't ventured very far, she stood looking over the tiled roofs of Oxford. It was quite a peaceful place really. Though the hustle and bustle of cars and people could say otherwise.

Her eyes looked over everything within sight. It really was something. She had often forgotten what towns and cities looked like. She had been disconnected from the world for a lot longer than just the small amount of time she was admitted for. Taking in a lungful of air she slowly exhaled. Shutting her eyes she smiled. This was enough for her.

“A small slice of heaven,” she mumbled quietly while opening her eyes and looking up at the blue sky above her. It was to her, it was an everyday thing for everyone else. But she had been kept inside for so long.

Is this enough?

“I'm not asking for the world, Charles. A little fresh air now and again will do me fine. I don't care much about walking down the street shopping for...what's a common thing people shop for? Milk? No,” she frowned and shook her head. “No, I don't care for that. I understand, honestly I do. I understand walking down a street would be risky for me to do. But coming to the roof? Is there harm in that, really?” She paused. “It's all right for you. You've got free will. I’ve not had free will since I was young.”

Then stay, my friend, and return back when you wish to.

Margo smiled. “That seemed too easy.” Which was true, she was expecting a long reply to her equally lengthy retort.

I can merely give advice, and warn you. I cannot stop you completely from doing something.

“Then thank you for not taking away my free will.” Margo turned and slowly started to walk forwards. She stopped and frowned. “Why didn't you just speak if you're up here too?”

“You looked so deep in concentration.” Charles smiled casually from his position near the door. “You know,” he walked slowly forwards. “I can't say I come up here often. If at all.” He stopped in front of her and nodded slowly. “I propose a deal.”

Margo frowned. “I already don't like the sound of it.”

“It's nothing bad,” he smiled and shook his head. “I promise you that. I propose that when you wish – as you said – for a little fresh air, you can come up here. Only if you avoid trying to go shopping for milk.”

Margo laughed and shook her head. “I already said that has no interest for me!”

“Orange juice then?” Charles smiled while turning and gesturing back to the door.

“Hm,” Margo looked thoughtful and nodded while suddenly smiling again. “Orange juice then. But,” she said sounding serious again. “Sure.” Frowning she looked to him. “Can I at least stay inside and avoid the outside world until the reports stop?”

Charles looked thoughtful as they entered the building again. “Maybe.”

“That means no then.”

“It means maybe.”

“No.” Margo whispered while crossing her arms loosely. “How'd you find me?” She asked deciding to drop this line of conversation. She wasn't really appreciating the sidelong narrow blue eyed looks she was receiving. “Oh! Seriously? There has got to be boundaries to mentally stalking, Charles, honestly there does.” She huffed when he simply tapped his head and smiled at her. “Don't do that unless something bad crops up.”

“You expect something bad to crop up?” He asked curiously as they walked towards the apartment.

“I am pessimistic. Things can't get better, they can only get worse.”

“I hope you don't feel that way at the moment.” He said while curiously looking at her. As they entered the small apartment Raven shot up from the sofa and looked at them both.

“Happy, that is how I feel. For once, it is something I’ve not felt for quite some time.” Margo said honestly while smiling at each of them in turn.

----

Drumming her fingers on the dining table in front of her, Margo sighed for the millionth time. She was on her own. It wasn't until she was fully left on her own that she realized what boredom felt like. Real boredom. There was always something to occupy her mind in the past. Parents tiptoeing around her, being hesitant with their words. Medication to keep her as docile as possible. Psychiatrists to ask pointless questions. There was always something to pass the time. Though granted these things were irritating.

But now, now that she had relative freedom, she could almost do anything within reason – as long as it didn't alert the authorities, she was fine – but she sat on her own at the dining table, drumming her fingers through sheer boredom.

This wasn't passing the time. This was making the time – if remotely possible – go slower.

Raven was out, Charles was attending some lecture or something. He did explain it to the both of them, but they were lost. When it came to what he was studying, Margo was none the wiser. It caused excitement, deep interest and the need to explain findings and meanings in a minor tutor like way to appear within Charles. The only analogy Margo could compare it to was a kid in a sweet shop. She may not understand the subject, but as long as interest and enthusiasm didn't disappear, she could only try and understand and feign interest when he had to explain something because Raven had piped up with a question.

Lifting her arm up, she waved her hand towards one of many bookcases. Wincing when the whole piece of furniture gave a rattle and a shudder, she frowned and shook her head. Focussing more she smiled when a few books moved off of the shelf and made their way to her.

The books landed with slightly heavy thuds in front of her. Clapping her hands together she sighed. There was nothing else to do, it was raining outside so going to the roof for air was out of the question. The television wasn't showing anything interesting. So the last scenario was reading.

Tilting her head to the side she stood up and walked towards the bookcase, running her fingers along the spines she smiled and pulled a big thick leather bound dictionary out. She'd need it. She knew she'd need it. Turning she walked back to the dining table.

Giving a nod the first book opened, and a rather wordy introduction confronted her. Already she could feel a headache coming on. Frowning she crossed her arms against the table and flicked her eyes over the small print. She wasn't giving up. There was something about this subject which did interest her. It all stemmed from a thought she had when she was younger. Why was she like this, and why weren't there others? But there were others. She was not alone. Evolution was the answer she got, but she couldn't help but think that this was the simple answer given. Margo may not be the smartest person ever – she didn't exactly finish school, she never went to college, and for sure she never attended university – but that didn't mean that she couldn't read for herself to grasp onto a suitable answer.